1789 Schraembl / Anville Map of the Coromandel Coast, India (2 sheets)
Description: This is a monumental and highly detailed map 1789 map of the Coromandel Coast, India by F. A. Schraembl. This map, on two separate sheets, covers the southeastern coast of India from Nagapattinam (Nega-Patnam) north as far as Narsapur and inland as far as Tiruchirappalli and Hyderabad. Schraembl derived this map from the influential French cartographer J. B. B. d'Anville's similar map of 1753, which here has been re-engraved, updated, and translated into German. It offers excellent coverage of the Coromandel Coast of India naming port cities, including Chennai (Madras), Nagappattinam (Negapatam), Puducherry (Pondicherry), Pazhaverkadu (Pulicat), etc. Several important rivers, towns, villages, roads and other topographical features are also noted throughout. Mountain ranges are rendered in profile.
The Coromandel Coast, whose name is derived from the ancient Chola Dynasty that ruled the region from the 3rd Century BC to the 13th Century AD. The Portuguese settled in the region during the 16th century, followed by the British, the French and the Dutch during the 17th and 18 centuries, leading to rivalries among the European powers, that hoped to control Indian trade.
Schraembl prepared this map in 1789 for inclusion in his monumental Allgemeiner grosser Atlas. Though many of the maps in this atlas are dated 1789 the atlas itself was not complete until 1800, when it was published in Vienna. A lavish production, the Allgemeiner grosser Atlas was expensive and proved difficult to sell, resulting in a low publican run and considerable scarcity relative to other European atlases of the period.
Date: 1789 (undated)
Source: Schraembl, K. A., Allgemeiner grosser Atlas, (Vienna), 1800.
References: Rumsey 2603.023 (1753 edition by J.B.B. Anville).
Cartographer: Franz Anton Schraembl (1751-1803) was a Vienna based cartographer working in the later part of the 18th century. Schraembl was partnered with Joseph von Reilly. His great work, the Allgemeiner Grosser Atlas was started in 1786. This ambitious atlas was to be based upon only the most up-to-date cartographic information available. Schraembl derived his maps from the work of cartographers like D'Anville and explorers such as Cook, Roberts, and others. The atlas was finally finished in 1800 but, possibly restricted by its high production cost, enjoyed only relatively minimal circulation. Click here for a list of rare maps from Franz Anton Schraembl.
Cartographer: Jean Baptiste Bourguignon d'Anville (1697-1782) was perhaps the most important and prolific cartographer of the 18th century. D'Anville's passion for cartography manifested during his school years when he amused himself by composing maps for Latin texts. There is a preserved manuscript dating to 1712, Graecia Vetus, which may be his earliest surviving map - he was only 15 when he drew it. He would retain an interest in the cartography of antiquity throughout his long career and published numerous atlases to focusing on the ancient world. At twenty-two D'Anville, sponsored by the Duke of Orleans, was appointed Geographer to the King of France. As both a cartographer and a geographer, he instituted a reform in the general practice of cartography. Unlike most period cartographers, D'Anville did not rely exclusively on earlier maps to inform his work, rather he based his maps on intense study and research. His maps were thus the most accurate and comprehensive of his period - truly the first modern maps. Thomas Basset and Philip Porter write: "It was because of D'Anville's resolve to depict only those features which could be proven to be true that his maps are often said to represent a scientific reformation in cartography." (The Journal of African History, Vol. 32, No. 3 (1991), pp. 367-413). In 1754, when D'Anville turned 57 and had reached the height of his career, he was elected to the Academie des Inscriptions. Later, at 76, following the death of Philippe Buache, D'Anville was appointed to both of the coveted positions Buache held: Premier Geographe du Roi, and Adjoint-Geographer of the Academie des Sciences. During his long career D'Anville published some 211 maps as well as 78 treatises on geography. D'Anville's vast reference library, consisting of over 9000 volumes, was acquired by the French government in 1779 and became the basis of the Depot Geographique - though D'Anville retained physical possession his death in 1782. Remarkably almost all of D'Anville's maps were produced by his own hand. His published maps, most of which were engraved by Guillaume de la Haye, are known to be near exact reproductions of D'Anville' manuscripts. The borders as well as the decorative cartouche work present on many of his maps were produced by his brother Hubert-Francois Bourguignon Gravelot. The work of D'Anville thus marked a transitional point in the history of cartography and opened the way to the maps of English cartographers Cary, Thomson and Pinkerton in the early 19th century. Click here for a list of rare maps by Jean Baptiste Bourguignon d'Anville.
Size: Printed area measures 21 x 40 inches (53.34 x 101.6 centimeters)
Scale: 1 : 780000
Condition: Very good. Minor wear along original centerfolds. Original platemarks visible. Map is on two separate sheets. Blank on verso.
Code: Coramandel-schraembl-1789 (to order by phone call: 646-320-8650)
Tags: Schraembl , D'Anville