Carte de la Cote Orientale de l'Amerique Septentrionale Partie Comprise Entre New York et la Riviere Saint Jean.
1834 (dated) 25 x 36 in (63.5 x 91.44 cm)
This is a highly scarce 1834 map of the eastern coast of the United States. The map covers the entire coastline from New York City to the St. John River in Florida, inclusive of the Chesapeake Bay, the Outer Banks, and the Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia coastlines. Two inset maps are included on the left. The upper map details the entrance to New York Harbor from Sandy Hook to Manhattan and from Staten Island to Rockaway Inlet. The lower inset details the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay. The whole is typical of nautical charts, offering limited inland detail but a wealth of nautical information including countless depth soundings, shore lines, river soundings, shipping lanes, and other practical information for the mariner. A fine example of a working sea chart.
Cartographically this map was derived from the work of e. Blunt an American hydrographer and chart maker active in the private sector. It was updated and revised in 1834 by J. M Hacq and Chassant for issue by the French Depot-General da la Marine. The lower right corner bears the 'Depot General de la Marine' imprint. The map is dedicated to the King of France, Louis-Philippe, whose short post-Napoleon reign is best known as the July Monarchy.
Published by E. & G.W. Blunt 179 Water Street, New York. Edmund March Blunt was a bookseller and in Newburyport Massachusetts who sold his merchandise at a bookshop called "The Sign of the Bible". In 1796, along with the nominal assistance of prominent navigator Captain Lawrence Furlong, Blunt published The American Coast Pilot, one of the most important published works on American navigation. Though much of the work was plagiarized from British publications, the "Pilot" was an immediate popular success. In response to the popularity of his work, Blunt published 21 subsequent editions of the "Coast Pilot". The first edition to contain map plates was printed in 1804. After a terrible fire at "The Sign of the Bible" in 1811, Blunt moved his business to New York and published under the "Sign of the Quadrant". In time his son, Edmond Jr. took over the family business and, in 1830, accepted a position under Hassler at the United States Office of the Coast Survey. Much of Blunt's original work eventually found its way into U.S. Coast Survey Publications. Due to the quality and detail of Blunt's work subsequent editions of his most important charts were republished will into the 1880s.
Depot des Cartes et Plans de la Marine (fl. 1720 - present), often called the Depot de Marine, was a French hydrographic mapping organization founded in 1720. Much like the U.S. Coast Survey, the British Admiralty, and the Spanish Deposito Hydrografico, the Depot was initiated as a storehouse and distribution center of existing nautical and marine charts. Eventually the Depot initiated its on mapping activities in an attempt to improve and expand upon existing material. Some of the more prominent figures in the development of Depot were Jacques Nicholas Bellin and Riobert Bonne.
Very good. Original centerfold visible. Blank on verso. Minor fill repair lower left corner.