Chart of the Harbour of Vera Cruz.
1809 (dated) 8.5 x 11.75 in (21.59 x 29.845 cm)
A fine 1809 nautical chart of the Harbor of Veracruz, Mexico by the American nautical chart publisher Eli Blunt. This map identifies the Reef of the Gallician, Island of Sacrifices, Green Island, Whitish Island, river and bay of Vergara, along with the fort of San Juan de Ulua and the city of Veracruz. Includes some depth soundings and relief shown by hachures. Issued in the 1809 edition of Blunt's American Coast Pilot.
Published by E. & G.W. Blunt 179 Water Street, New York. Edmund March Blunt was a bookseller and in Newburyport Massachusetts who sold his merchandise at a bookshop called "The Sign of the Bible". In 1796, along with the nominal assistance of prominent navigator Captain Lawrence Furlong, Blunt published The American Coast Pilot, one of the most important published works on American navigation. Though much of the work was plagiarized from British publications, the "Pilot" was an immediate popular success. In response to the popularity of his work, Blunt published 21 subsequent editions of the "Coast Pilot". The first edition to contain map plates was printed in 1804. After a terrible fire at "The Sign of the Bible" in 1811, Blunt moved his business to New York and published under the "Sign of the Quadrant". In time his son, Edmond Jr. took over the family business and, in 1830, accepted a position under Hassler at the United States Office of the Coast Survey. Much of Blunt's original work eventually found its way into U.S. Coast Survey Publications. Due to the quality and detail of Blunt's work subsequent editions of his most important charts were republished will into the 1880s.
Blunt, E., American Coast Pilot, 1809.
Very Good. Original fold lines. Text on verso. Else clean.