1854 Colton Pocket Map of Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Indiana and Kentucky
Description: An extremely attractive example of Colton’s 1854 pocket map format railroad and township map of the Western States. Covers the states of Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri Iowa Michigan and Wisconsin with parts of Minnesota and Pennsylvania. Offers extraordinary detail with color coding to the county level. The eastern and southern parts of the map are well developed, but the northern and western territories, particularly northern Michigan, the Indian Territory, and Minnesota remain largely undeveloped. Notates railroads, towns, rivers, canals, geographical features and roadways. Also mentions several of the American Indian nations in the Indian Territory to the west of Missouri and in Minnesota territory. The Great Lakes, Eire, Huron, and Michigan are shown in full. Surrounded by a magnificent wide floral border showing vines, flowers and leaves. Each corner of the border hosts a medallion: the upper left medallion depicts a buffalo, the upper right a stag, the lower left medallion has a view of St. Louis, Missouri and the lower right a view of Louisville, Kentucky. Exhibits some restorations – see condition notes – however, is one of the brightest and most beautiful examples of this map we have come across.
Date: 1854 (dated)
Source: Pocket Map (Independent Issue)
References: Library of Congress, Map Division, G4061.P3 1853 .C6 Fil 59. Rumsey 4985. American Antiquarian Society, Box 3. Library of Congress, Railroad maps, 147a. Kentucky Historical Society, Map Collection, khs.map.87.
Cartographer: Joseph Hutchins Colton (July 5, 1800 - July 29, 1893), often publishing as J. H. Colton, was an important American map and atlas publisher active from 1833 to 1893 (though the firm continued to published in 1897). Colton's firm arose from humble beginnings when he moved to New York in 1831 and befriended the established engraver Samuel Stiles. Colton recognized an emerging market in railroad maps and immigrant guides. Not a cartographer or engraver himself, Colton's initial business practice mostly involved purchasing the copyrights of other cartographers, most notably David H. Burr, and reissuing them with updated engraving and border work. His first maps, produced in 1833, were based on earlier Burr maps and depicted New York State and New York City. Between 1833 and 1855 Colton would proceed to publish a large corpus of guidebooks and railroad maps which proved to be very popular. In the early 1850s Colton brought his two sons, George Woolworth Colton (1827 - 1901) and Charles B. Colton (1832 - 1916), into the map business. G. W. Colton, trained as a cartographer and engraver, was particularly inspired by the idea of creating a large and detailed world atlas to compete established European firms for the U.S. market. In 1855 G.W. Colton issued volume one the impressive two volume Colton's Atlas of the World. Volume two followed a year later. Possibly because of the expense of purchasing a two volume atlas set, the sales of the Atlas of the World did not meet Colton's expectations and it was thus that, in 1856, they also issued the Atlas as a single volume. The maps contained in this superb work were all original engravings and most bear an 1855 copyright. All of the maps were surrounded by an attractive spiral motif border that would become a hallmark of Colton's atlas maps well into the 1880s. In 1857 the slightly smaller Colton's General Atlas replaced the Atlas of the World. Most early editions of the General Atlas published from 1857 to 1859 do not have the trademark Colton spiral border, which was removed to allow the maps to fit into a smaller format volume. Their customers must have missed the border because it was reinstated in 1860 and remained in all subsequent publications of the atlas. There were also darker times ahead, in 1857 Colton was commissioned at sum of 25,000 USD by the Government of Bolivia to produce and deliver 2500 copies a large format map of that country. Though Colton completed the contract in good faith, delivering the maps at his own expense, he was never paid by Bolivia, which was at the time in the midst of a national revolution. Colton would spend the remainder of his days fighting with the Bolivian and Peruvian governments over this payment and in the end received over 100,000 USD in compensation. However, at the time, it must have been a disastrous blow. J. H. Colton and Company is listed as one of New York's failed companies in the postal record of 1859. It must have been this event which led Colton into the arms of Alvin Jewett Johnson and Ross C. Browning. The 1859 edition of Colton's Atlas lists Johnson and Browning as the "Successor's to J. H. Colton" suggesting an outright buyout, but given that both companies continued to publish separately, the reality is likely more complex. Whatever the case may have been, this arrangement gave Johnson and Browning access to many of Colton's map plates and gave birth to Johnson's New Illustrated (Steel Plate) Family Atlas. The Johnson's Atlas was published parallel to the Colton atlas well in to the 1880s. The Colton firm itself also published several other atlases including an Atlas of America, the Illustrated Cabinet Atlas, the Octavo Atlas of the Union, and Colton's Quarto Atlas of the World. They also published a large corpus of pocket maps and guides. The last known publications of the Colton firm dated to 1897 and include a map and a view, both issued in association with the Merchant's Association of New York. In 1898 the Colton firm merged with the Ohman Firm and continued to published as Colton, Ohman & Co. until 1901.Click here for a list of rare maps from Joseph Hutchins Colton.
Size: Printed area measures 42 x 35.5 inches (106.68 x 90.17 centimeters)
Condition: Good condition. Original folds exhibit wear and toning. Some loss and verso repair - see image. Removed from original binder (included) for preservation reasons. Original binder split at spine, title stamped with gold gilt letters.
Code: WesternStates-colton-1854 (to order by phone call: 646-320-8650)