Basket Empty

The General Land Office
(c. 1812-1946)

The General Land Office, created in 1812, was an independent agency charged with the administration and sale of public lands of the western territories of the United States under the Preemption Act of 1841 and the Homestead Act of 1862. During a time of frenetic energy and rapid westward expansion, the Land Office oversaw the surveying, platting, mapping and eventually the sale of much of the Western United States and Florida. The structural layout of the western United States that we see today, and many of their district and county divisions, are direct result of the early surveying work of the General Land Office. More importantly, as a branch of the Federal Government in Washington D.C. and the only agency able to legally sell and administer public lands in the western territories of the United States, the General Land Office played a pivotal role in consolidating power away from the original states and into the hand of the centralized federal government. The General Land Office was absorbed into the Department of Interior in 1849 and in 1946 merged with the United States Grazing Service to become the Bureau of Land Management. Today the Bureau of Land Management administers the roughly 246 million acres of public land remaining under federal ownership. Click here for a list of rare maps from The General Land Office.

Rare maps by The General Land Office currently for sale.

Rare maps by The General Land Office in the Geographicus Antique Map Archive.

Geographicus Map Archive
Links & Affiliations
Site Map * Affiliate Program
GEOGRAPHICUS RARE ANTIQUE MAPS - NEW YORK GALLERY
201 West 105th St., Ste. 42, New York, NY 10025, United States
by appointment only - 646-483-0487 -
ORDER BY PHONE
646-483-0487
info@geographicus.com