1843 Blackwell Map of Niagara Falls, New York

NiagaraFalls-haines-1843
$200.00
Trigonometrical Survey of the Falls of Niagara. Executed for the Geological Report of the Fourth District.
Processing...

1843 Blackwell Map of Niagara Falls, New York

NiagaraFalls-haines-1843


SOLD. Call for off-line availability

Title


Trigonometrical Survey of the Falls of Niagara. Executed for the Geological Report of the Fourth District.
  1843 (undated)    9.5 x 16 in (24.13 x 40.64 cm)

Description


This rare map is a trigonometrical survey of Niagara Falls. Shows both the American Falls and the Horseshoe Falls in Canada. Also depicts several islands and on the river and buildings around the falls, including the Barracks and the Museum where the remains of the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses I were rediscovered in 2000. Drafted by W. S. Haines from an 1841 survey of the region prepared by E. R. Blackwell, Civil Engineer. Engraved by Endicott.

CartographerS


Edwin R. Blackwell was an accomplished civil engineer living in Black Rock New York, near the Niagara Falls in the mid to late 19th century. Blackwell worked with various railroad companies and contractors as a surveyor and engineer and was highly regarding for this work in the Buffalo, New York area. Blackwell is best known for his 1841 work, in conjunction with Z. Allen, in the surveying of the Falls and calculation of the power of the Falls. Based on detailed measurements and various soundings Blackwell determined that the horse-power generated by the falls was 4,533,334.


Endicott and Company (fl. c. 1828 - 1891) was a New York based family run lithography firm that flourished throughout the 19th century. The firm was founded by George and William Endicott, brothers who were born in Canton, Massachusetts. George Endicott (June 14, 1802 - 1848) trained as a lithographer under Pendleton Lithography from January of 1826. He later worked as superintendent of Senefelder Company until the summer of 1828. Afterwards, in 1830, he relocated to Baltimore and partnered with Moses Swett. Endicott and Swett relocated to New York City in December of 1831. They remained partners until July of 1834 when the relationship dissolved. George set up shop on his own account at 359 Broadway. William Endicott (1815 - 1851), George's younger brother of 14 years, joined the firm in 1840 and was made a partner in 1845, after which the name of the firm was changed to G. and W. Endicott. George Endicott died shortly afterward, in 1848, but William continued operating the firm as William Endicott and Co. until his own 1851 death at just 35 years. The firm was carried on by his widow Sara Munroe Endicott until it was taken over by her son, Francis Endicott, who ran the firm from 1852 to 1886. George Endicott, Jr. subsequently ran the firm from 1887 to 1891. Peters, in his important work on American lithography America on Stone writes "it is hard to summarize the Endicotts. They did everything and did it well . . . [they] worked with and for Currier and Ives, yet in spite of all that much of their work lacks real individuality." The Endicott firm was responsible for many 19th century views and plans of New York City and state as well as plans of Sacramento, California, and the Midwest.

Source


Hall, J., Geology Of New-York. Part IV. Comprising The Survey Of The Fourth Geological District, Albany, Carroll and Cook, 1843.    

Condition


Good condition. Moderate foxing throughout. Staining to outer margins. Light discoloration on left side of map. Original folds.

References


Impressions of Niagara, The Chares Rand Penny Collection, 170.