The U.S. Navy Hydrographic Office (1830 - 1962) is a branch of the United States Navy founded in 1830 to compile non-domestic hydrographic and bathymetric surveys. These surveys are conducted by the U.S. Naval Oceanographic Office, which started with the establishment of the Depot of Charts and Instruments in 1830. In 1854 the U.S. Navy Oceanographic Office was renamed the U.S. Naval Observatory and Hydrographical Office. The hydrographic portion became the U.S. Naval Hydrographic Office under the Hydrographer of the Navy. In 1962, under the Kennedy administration, the name was again changed to the U.S. Naval Oceanographic Office in 1962. That office, as a matter of historical and semantic interest, and the U.S. Naval Observatory are still part of the command overseen by the "Oceanographer of the Navy" with headquarters at the Naval Observatory in Washington D.C.