The Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization (1958 - 1973) was created in 1958 during the Eisenhower administration. It was originally named the Office of Defense and Civilian Mobilization and was an office of the Executive Office of the President consolidating the duties of the existing Office of Defense Mobilization and the Federal Civil Defense Administration. The civil defense responsibilities of the Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization were transferred to the Department of Defense's Office of Civil Defense after August 1, 1961. The office was then renamed the Office of Emergency Planning from September 22, 1961 and was eventually renamed again as the Office of Emergency Preparedness on October 21, 1968. The office was abolished on July 1, 1973.