Hugh Anderson (c. 1790 - 1854, fl. 1811 - 1854) was an American line and stipple engraver based in Philadelphia, PA. Anderson was not specifically a cartographic engraver and his corpus includes landscape views, allegorical images, frontispieces, architectural, anatomical, and animal engravings, as well as maps. His name appears in Philadelphia directories from 1811 to 1819 and again from 1822 to 1824. Anderson was most likely Scottish and probably trained in Scotland before immigrating to the United States. There is some suggestion that Anderson was also a watchmaker and that he relocated to Ohio, where he may have continued his business and even engaged in politics under the Democratic Party. His apprentices may have included John Hugh Williams of Iowa (his son in law) and Genin Sylvester of Ohio.