The Garden Club of North Carolina (GCNC) (1925 - Present) was founded on November 6, 1925, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The GCNC administers three public gardens in North Carolina: the Elizabethan Gardens on Roanoke Island, the Daniel Boone Native Gardens in Boone, and the Martha Franck Fragrance Garden, which was closed due to the expansion of the grounds of the Rehabilitation Center for the Blind in Butner, where the garden was located. In 1997, the Governor Morehead School for the Blind approached the GCNC and asked if they would like to establish a garden on the school's grounds for their students and their families, and this garden, by the same name, was dedicated in 2001.