Artaria and Company (1765 - c. 1890) was founded by Carlo Giovanni Artaria in 1765 in Vienna, then the capital of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Originally a specialty publisher of sheet music, including works by Hayden, Mozart, Beethoven, and Schubert, the company had expanded its business to include maps by the mid-1770s. The company collaborated with Joseph von Scheda and distributed maps for the Militärgeografischen Institutes. Artaria continued to be a major European publisher well into the 20th century. In 1920, the cartographic section was sold to Freytag and Berndt, who published under the imprint Freytag-Berndt & Artaria.