Garnier Frères (1833 - 1933) was a large and prominent publishing house and bookstore based in Paris, France. The publishing firm was founded in 1833 by the brothers Auguste (1812 - 1887) and Hippolyte Garnier (1815 or 1816 – 1859, photo at right). Their younger brother Pierre-Auguste (1807 – 1899) also joined the firm. Yet another brother, Baptiste-Louis Garnier (1822 - 1893) joined in 1844. The popular Paris bookshop, located in the arcades of the Palais-Royal in the gallery Peristyle Montpensier, followed shortly after in 1838. They opened another location in 1853 in the former government hotel, at the corner of rue de Lille and rue des Saints-Pères. The firm prospered through the publication of low cost editions French classics. Their corpus of work includes maps, guides, novels, historical works, and essays. In June of 1983 the firm filed for bankruptcy and their assents were taken over by Presses de la Cité, a subsidiary of InfoMédia, which was itself liquidated in 2000.