1950 Walker Bird's Eye View Map of Casco Bay, Portland, Maine

Birds Eye View of Casco Bay: Portland, Maine and Surroundings. - Main View

1950 Walker Bird's Eye View Map of Casco Bay, Portland, Maine


Cartographic Historical Digest of Casco Bay.


Birds Eye View of Casco Bay: Portland, Maine and Surroundings.
  1950 (undated)     19.5 x 28 in (49.53 x 71.12 cm)


This is a beautiful 1950 bird’s eye-view map of Casco Bay, Portland, Maine. It is the last edition of the George Walker view of the same title, first issued in 1906. The view covers Casco Bay, from Port Elizabeth and South Portland with Rangeley Lakes and Mount Washington evident on the horizon. The city of Portland is beautifully rendered. Throughout, the map notes towns, islands, capes, points, and a few other topographical features. The bustling bay is full of ships and ferries traveling between its various islands. As distinct from the original 1906 issue, the title of this edition has been moved from the bottom of the map to the top, and the bottom has been filled with a tour of the region marking such highlights as John Smith's visit in 1614, a hiding spot of Captain Kidd's treasure, and the excellent hotel and cottage accommodations on the principal islands.
Publication History
This view/map was copyrighted and first issued by Geo H. Walker and Co. in 1906. In and around 1950 the original lithographic stone was used again for this 1950 edition, printed on behalf of the Down-East Sportscraft firm of Freeport, Maine. It appears on the market from time to time but is neglected in institutional collections. We note only one example of this edition in OCLC, at the Osher Map Library at the University of Southern Maine.


George Hiram Walker (January 4, 1852 - November 14, 1927) was a Boston based publisher of books, views, and maps active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Born in Springfield, Vermont, Walker started his life as a dry goods merchant but developed an active interest in publishing during the early 1870s. Walker began publishing in 1878 when he partnered with an unknown New York Firm. Two years later, Walker brought the operation in house by partnering with his brother, Oscar W. Walker, in the opening of a lithography studio at 81 Milk Street, Boston. Shortly thereafter the firm expanded to new offices at 160 Tremont Street, Boston. The Walker brothers produced a large corpus of works, most of which focused on travel and tourism in New England. Walker also established the Walker-Gordon Milk Laboratory with Dr. Thomas Morgan Rotch and Gustave Gordon. This interesting investment was based on the premise that infant deaths could be avoided by providing higher quality milk. The company eventually became a great success, producing a high-quality cow milk that closely resembled human breast milk. In the process the Walker-Gordon laboratory developed many of the dairy health standards that are still with us today. Walker married Irene L. Loud on March 25, 1885. Learn More...


Very good. Exhibits wear along original fold lines. Verso repairs and reinforcements at fold intersections. Exhibits an area of infill at a fold intersection.


OCLC 1059856737.