South part of Hempstead, Queens Co. L.I.
1873 (undated) 14.5 x 31.5 in (36.83 x 80.01 cm)
A scarce example of Fredrick W. Beers' map of the southern part of Hempstead, Long Island, New York. Published in 1873, this magnificent map covers from Jamaica Bay and Far Rockaway eastward past Hicks Beach, Hog Island, Long Beach, Rockville, Freeport, Hempstead Bay to South Oyster Bay and Seaford. Wonderful detail regarding the marsh island around Long Beach and Hempstead Bay. Offers stupendous inland detail to the level of individual buildings and the names of land holders. Notes the route of the South Side Rail Road. This is probably the finest atlas map of Hempstead to appear in the 19th century. Prepared by Beers, Comstock & Cline out of their office at 36 Vesey Street, New York City, for inclusion in the first published atlas of Long Island, the 1873 issue of Atlas of Long Island, New York.
The Beers family (Fredrick, Silas, James and Daniel) (fl. c. 1850 - 1886), along with Charles and Augustus Warner, were prominent map publishers working from the 1850s to the late 1880s. Often publishing under the Warner & Beers designation, the combined firms produced a series of important state and county atlases and map of much of the northeastern United States. Many of their regional maps are among the most detailed and well laid out maps ever produced of their respective regions. Because Warner & Beers county maps were often detailed down to the individual homes and landowners, they have become highly sought after by general and family historians. In additional to producing maps of surpassing detail, Warner & Beers also maintained an earlier generation's attention to detail and quality while publishing in an era ever increasingly dominated by the low cost printing methods used by the publishing empires of Rand McNally and George Cram.
Atlas of Long Island, New York. From Recent Actual Surveys and Records Under the Superintendence of F. W. Beers. (1873 First Edition).
Very good condition. Original folds. Maps of Valley Stream, Seaford and New Bridge on verso.
New York Public Library, Map Division, 852048.