This is a 1957 Depósito Hidrográfico nautical chart or maritime map of Ibiza and Formentera Islands. Depicting both islands in full, Spanish language manuscript notations appear along the right side of Ibiza in blue ink and provide information concerning La Losa Santa Eulalia. More manuscript notations in red and green ink mark locations closer to the coast and a sketch of a house is situated near Can Planetas. Cities and towns throughout Ibiza are labeled, including San Antonio (recognized as the world's clubbing capital) and St. Vincent. Lines mark changes in ocean depth close to the coast in ten-meter increments. Further from the coastline, the intervals become 100 meters. Profile views of Ibiza and Formentera frame the central map on all four sides.
Publication History and CensusThis map was originally published by the Depósito Hidrográfico in 1900. Several subsequent editions were released throughout the first half of the twentieth century, with the present example dating from 1953, and the manuscript additions date this map to 1957. This is the only known example.
The Direccion Hidrografía (1787 - 1927), also known as the Deposito Hydrografico and the Direction de Hidrografía, was the Spanish equivalent of the British Admiralty or the U.S. Coast Survey. This organization, founded in 1787, was commissioned to collect and produce accurate nautical charts of all waters frequented by Spanish vessels. In essence, it replaced the Casa de la Contratación de las Indias (House of Trade of the Indies), which closed its doors in 1790. Like most such organizations, the Direccion Hidrografía marked a new age in cartography. Rather than simply collect charts created by navigators, explorers, and merchants, the Direccion Hidrografía worked closely with naval and military personnel to mount cartographic and hydrographic expeditions in pursuit of the most accurate hydrographical, astronomical, and geodetic measurements. The Direccion Hidrografía created a massive library of nautical charts that, though not nearly as common as similar nautical charts by the U.S. Coast Survey and British Admiralty, are highly desirable for the beauty of their manufacture as well as their accuracy and detail. The office was originally located on Calle Ballesta, but relocated to 36 Alcala, both in Madrid. After 1908 the Dirección was subsumed into other governmental agencies. In 1927 the Direccion was absorbed into the Institute and Observatory of San Fernando, located in Cadiz. The library of original maps, charts, and journals was transferred to the Naval Museum of Madrid - where it resides to this day. More by this mapmaker...
Very good. Exhibits slight wear along original fold lines. Light soiling. Manuscript updates and additions.