1925 Walker View of Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire

Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire - Main View

1925 Walker View of Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire


Gorgeous view of Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire


Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire
  1925 (dated)     27 x 17 in (68.58 x 43.18 cm)


This is a gorgeous 1925 bird's eye view style pocket map of Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire by the Geo. H. Walker and Company, Boston. One of the more obscure and rare maps by George Walker, it covers the popular summertime destination from Little Asquam and Lake Winnesquam to Lake Wentworth and from Alton Bay and Round Bay to Moultonboro and Walkers Pond. The map includes many New Hampshire islands, towns, and bays, including Center Harbor, Asquam, Moultonboro, Wolfboro, Lake Wentworth, Lake Ossipee, Long Bay, Meredith Bay, Alton Bay, Round Bay and several others. The White Mountains are shown in the background, centered on a snow-covered Mt. Washington. The foreground features houses and fields with sailboats and steamships in the water. Fifty-nine islands and twenty-six mountains are included as keyed references along the bottom margin. The map also shows major railway lines. This map comes with its original cover. This example is the third edition and features a brilliant blue color. This map was published by the Steamer Mt. Washington Company and includes on the verso various information about the area and prominently displays the summer time table for the steamer.


George Hiram Walker (January 4, 1852 - November 14, 1927) was a Boston based publisher of books, views, and maps active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Born in Springfield, Vermont, Walker started his life as a dry goods merchant but developed an active interest in publishing during the early 1870s. Walker began publishing in 1878 when he partnered with an unknown New York Firm. Two years later, Walker brought the operation in house by partnering with his brother, Oscar W. Walker, in the opening of a lithography studio at 81 Milk Street, Boston. Shortly thereafter the firm expanded to new offices at 160 Tremont Street, Boston. The Walker brothers produced a large corpus of works, most of which focused on travel and tourism in New England. Walker also established the Walker-Gordon Milk Laboratory with Dr. Thomas Morgan Rotch and Gustave Gordon. This interesting investment was based on the premise that infant deaths could be avoided by providing higher quality milk. The company eventually became a great success, producing a high-quality cow milk that closely resembled human breast milk. In the process the Walker-Gordon laboratory developed many of the dairy health standards that are still with us today. Walker married Irene L. Loud on March 25, 1885. More by this mapmaker...


Very good. Backed on archival tissue for stability. Closed and repaired tear extending approximately 6 inches into printed area from bottom margin. Closed and repaired tear extending approximately 2 inches into printed area from top margin.


OCLC 64395140.