This is an exceptional 1878 map of the island of Lanai, in the Hawaiian Islands, prepared for the 1900 Report of the Governor of the Territory of Hawaii to the Secretary of the Interior. Although the cartographic work that produced this map was started in 1878, during the Hawaiian Monarchy, the map itself, and the report that contained it, was issued following the U.S. Government's 1898 annexation of the Hawaiian Republic. The Report was an attempt to assess and examine the newly created Hawaiian Territory's potential for Americanized administration and development. Consequently, the map focuses on Public Lands, Homestead Settlement Tracts, Grazing Lands, Pineapple Lands, Sugar Plantations, Forest Reserves, Forest Lands, Wet Lands, etc. It also features both practical and topographic details for use in administering the region. The governor at this time was George R. Carter.
Publication History and CensusThe primary triangulation for this map was accomplished by J. F. Brown and M. D. Monsarrat. The survey work was done by Walter E. Wall and Fred E. Harvey. This map is heavily based upon the Government Survey Regional Map No. 1394. Seven examples are cataloged in OCLC and are part of the institutional collections at the Library of Congress, Michigan State University, the University of Texas at Arlington, Brigham Young University, the University of California San Diego, the University of California Berkeley, and the University of California Davis. An example is also part of the David Rumsey Map Collection.
The General Land Office (1812 - 1946) was an independent agency charged with the administration and sale of public lands of the western territories of the United States under the Preemption Act of 1841 and the Homestead Act of 1862. During a time of frenetic energy and rapid westward expansion, the Land Office oversaw the surveying, platting, mapping and eventually the sale of much of the Western United States and Florida. The structural layout of the western United States that we see today, and many of their district and county divisions, are direct result of the early surveying work of the General Land Office. More importantly, as a branch of the Federal Government in Washington D.C. and the only agency able to legally sell and administer public lands in the western territories of the United States, the General Land Office played a pivotal role in consolidating power away from the original states and into the hands of the centralized federal government. The General Land Office was absorbed into the Department of Interior in 1849 and in 1946 merged with the United States Grazing Service to become the Bureau of Land Management. Today the Bureau of Land Management administers the roughly 246 million acres of public land remaining under federal ownership. Learn More...
Julius (Julien) Bien (September 27, 1826 - December 21, 1909) was a German-Jewish lithographer and engraver based in New York City. Bien was born in Naumburg, Germany. He was educated at the Academy of Fine Arts, Cassell and at Städel's Institute, Frankfurt-am-Main. Following the suppression of the anti-autocratic German Revolutions of 1848, Bien, who participated in the pan-German movement, found himself out of favor in his home country and joined the mass German immigration to the United States. Bien can be found in New York as early as 1849. He established the New York Lithographing, Engraving & Printing Company in New York that focused on the emergent chromo-lithograph process - a method of printing color using lithographic plates. His work drew the attention of the U.S. Government Printing Office which contracted him to produce countless government maps and surveys, including the Pacific Railroad Surveys, the census, numerous coast surveys, and various maps relating to the American Civil War. Bien also issued several atlases both privately and in conjunction with a relation, Joseph Bien. At the height of his career Bien was elected president of the American Lithographers Association. After his death in 1909, Bien's firm was taken over by his son who promptly ran it into insolvency. The firm was sold to Sheldon Franklin, who, as part of the deal, retained the right to publish under the Julius Bien imprint. In addition to his work as a printer, Bien was active in the New York German Jewish community. He was director of the New York Hebrew Technical Institute, the New York Hebrew Orphan Asylum, and president of the B'nai B'rith Order. Learn More...
Very good. Minor toning and wear along original fold lines. Closed minor margin tears professionally repaired on verso. Blank on verso.
Rumsey 3705.004 (1906 edition). OCLC 145504055. Univ. of California Library, Berkeley (1901 edition).