This is an 1894 George H. Walker and Company city map or plan of Boston, Massachusetts. The map depicts the central part of the city from the intersection of Columbus Avenue and Dartmouth Street to East Boston and from Charlestown to the Point Channel. Highly detailed, myriad streets, buildings, wharves, and other locations are noted throughout the city. Subway, surface, and elevated mass transit lines are illustrated using red overprinting, as are two locations of S.S. Pierce Company Grocers and the Macullar, Parker Company Clothiers store. Boston Common is situated slightly to the left of center, shaded green, with the public garden illustrated just across Charles Street. City wards are identified and numbered.
This map was created and published by George H. Walker and Company in 1894 and presented by the Hotel Essex.
George H. Walker (January 4, 1852 - 19??) was a Boston based publisher of books, views, and maps active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Walker started his life as a dry goods merchant but developed an active interest in publishing during the early 1870s. Walker began publishing in 1878 when he partnered with an unknown New York Firm. Two years later, Walker brought the operation in house by partnering with his brother , Oscar W. Walker, in the opening of a lithography studio at 81 Milk Street, Boston. Shortly thereafter the firm expanded to new offices at 160 Tremont Street, Boston. The Walker brothers produced a large corpus of works, most of which focused on travel and tourism in New England. Walker also established the Walker-Gordon Milk Laboratory. This interesting investment was based on the premise that infant deaths could be avoided by providing higher quality milk. The company eventually became a great success, producing a high quality cow milk that closely resembled human breast milk. In the process the Walker-Gordon laboratory developed many of the dairy health standards that are still with us today. Learn More...
Very good. Minor wear along original fold lines, especially near center. Professionally flattened and backed with archival tissue. Text on verso.