Haifa./ הָ יפֵ ח / حيفا
44.75 x 37 in (113.665 x 93.98 cm)
1 : 10000
This is an enormous rare 1937 map of Haifa, Israel (then British Mandate Palestine). It is, in effect, the masterplan of that underpinned the city's growth at the height of its Interwar expansion. The map, drawn from the best regional and civic authorities, lays out plans for Haifa's expansion and development - most of which were eventually realized. The municipality’s residential planning zones are designated as 'A' (beige), 'B' (light blue), 'C' (dark yellow), plus commercial zones (pink), industrial zones (purple), agricultural lands (light yellow), public buildings (orange), gardens and open spaces (green), buildings (pink and outlined), cemeteries (yellow with green hash marks). Other features, such as wadis, contours, triangulation points, and municipal boundaries are also defined.
Peace, Prosperity, GrowthThe map covers the heart of urban Haifa at the height of an extended period of prosperity cover nearly the entire Interwar Period (1918 - 1939). While the remainder of Palestine was reeling in chaos associated with the 1936 - 1939 Great Palestinian Revolt against the British Mandate, Haifa was an oasis of harmonious multiculturality, economic prosperity, and urban expansion. The city was Palestine's largest port, as such, embraced thousands of Jewish immigrants from an increasingly anti-Semitic Europe. The general prosperity as well as the huge influx of new immigrants, spurred major civic development, from new residential neighborhoods on Mount Carmel, to 'garden city' developments, to universities (Technion Institute), and more.
Bahai World CenterSignificantly, this map notes the tomb of Abas Effendi, better known as ʻAbdu'l-Bahá (1844 - 1921), the eldest son of Baháʼu'lláh, and head of the Baháʼí Faith from 1892 until 1921. This tomb would later become the Bahai World Center - the heart of the Bahai Faith and one of Haifa's most distinctive architectural wonders.
Publication History and CensusThis map was issued in 1937. The cartography is the work of Shlomo Soffer. The map was privately published by George Hertz-Shikmoni (1885 - 1976), one of Haifa's largest real estate developers. It is of note, this is the western sheet. A smaller eastern sheet was also issued, but mostly covered agricultural hinterlands. This map is extremely rare, with only one other known example - in the National library of Israel.
Shlomo Soffer (c. 1900 - 1944) was a Jewish civil engineer and intelligence officer active in Haifa under British Mandate Palestine. Learn More...
Very good. Minor wear and slight verso reinforcement at some old fold intersections.
National Library of Israel, Haifa h53. OCLC 782080138.