Map of Massachusetts Bay and Shore from Plymouth to Newburyport.
1898 (dated) 36 x 16 in (91.44 x 40.64 cm)
1 : 114048
This is a beautiful and scarce 1898 map of the bay and shore of Massachusetts from Plymouth to Newburyport by George Walker. An uncommon map by Walker, it covers Boston and Vicinity, including the North Shore and South Shore, from Salisbury south to Plymouth and inland as far as Raynham and North Reading. Cape Ann is included. The city of Boston is beautifully rendered in detail. The map shows extraordinary detail throughout noting roads, cities, towns, lakes, rivers, swamps, railways, islands, shipping lines, contour lines and other important topographical features. First copyrighted in 1894, this is the 1898 edition published by Geo. H. Walker and Company, 160 Tremont St., Boston.
George H. Walker (January 4, 1852 - 19??) was a Boston based publisher of books, views, and maps active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Walker started his life as a dry goods merchant but developed an active interest in publishing during the early 1870s. Walker began publishing in 1878 when he partnered with an unknown New York Firm. Two years later, Walker brought the operation in house by partnering with his brother , Oscar W. Walker, in the opening of a lithography studio at 81 Milk Street, Boston. Shortly thereafter the firm expanded to new offices at 160 Tremont Street, Boston. The Walker brothers produced a large corpus of works, most of which focused on travel and tourism in New England. Walker also established the Walker-Gordon Milk Laboratory. This interesting investment was based on the premise that infant deaths could be avoided by providing higher quality milk. The company eventually became a great success, producing a high quality cow milk that closely resembled human breast milk. In the process the Walker-Gordon laboratory developed many of the dairy health standards that are still with us today.
Very good. Minor wear and creasing along original fold lines. Professionally flattened and backed with archival tissue.