11.5 x 8.75 in (29.21 x 22.225 cm)
1 : 2090880
This is an 1828 Anthony Finley map of Mississippi. The map depicts the state and the region from Louisiana and Arkansas to Alabama and from Tennessee and Arkansas to Louisiana, Lake Pontchartrain, Mobile Bay, and the Gulf of Mexico in Finley's classic minimalist style. Rivers, roads, canals, and some topographical features are illustrated, both in Mississippi and in the border regions of Alabama and Louisiana. Numerous cities and towns are labeled, including Jackson, Washington, Augusta, and Greenville. Color coding at the county level allows for easy differentiation between the counties, each of which is labeled.
Finley's map of Mississippi is particularly interesting and important due to its portrayal of the rapidly changing American Indian situation in the northern part of the state. In 1827, most of northern Mississippi was a confined territory assigned to the Chickasaw and Choctaw Indian Nations. Within the Indian lands numerous missionary stations are noted, including Elliot, Monroe, and Mayhew. The New Choctaw Agency is also noted. Just four years after this map was made the Chickasaw and Choctaw would forcibly relocated westward in the infamous 'Trail of Tears.' This map was updated yearly from 1824 to the mid 1830s. A full series of these maps is a powerful illustration of both the American Indian relocations.
Also of interest are the several roadways that run northwest through the Chickasaw and Choctaw territories. These are the Old Natchez Road (also called the Natchez Trace), the Robinson Road, and Jacksons Road. The roadways through the Indian territories were mostly traveled by missionaries and a hardy group known as 'Kaintucks.' Kaintucks were river men who made a living transporting goods down the Mississippi from Ohio and Indiana. Afterwards they would travel north by land from Jackson to Nashville, where they could once again navigate the rivers back to Ohio. In the early 19th century over 10,000 Kaintucks a year used these roads. The Robinson Road was also the primary postal route.
This map was engraved by Young and Delleker for the 1828 edition of Anthony Finley's General Atlas.
Anthony Finley (August 25, 1784 - June 9, 1836) was an American book and map publisher based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Finley was born in Philadelphia in 1874. He opened a bookshop and publishing house at the Northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut Street, Philadelphia in 1809. His earliest known catalog, listing botanical, medical and other scientific works, appeared in 1811. His first maps, engraved for Daniel Edward Clarke’s Travels in Various Countries of Europe, Asia, and Africa also appear in 1811. His first atlas, the Atlas Classica, was published in 1818. He soon thereafter published the more significant A New American Atlas and the New General Atlas…, both going through several editions from 1824 to 1834. Although most of Finley's cartographic material was borrowed from European sources, his atlases were much admired and favorably reviewed. In addition to his work as a printer, Finley ran unsuccessfully on the 1818 Democratic ticket for Philadelphia Common Council. He was also a founding officer of the Philadelphia Apprentices’ Library, and a member of both the American Sunday-School Union and the Franklin Institute. Finely was active as a publisher until his 1836 death, apparently of a 'lingering illness.' Shortly thereafter advertisements began appearing for his map business and plates, most of which were acquired by Samuel Augustus Mitchell.
Finley, Anthony, A New General Atlas, Comprising a Complete Set of Maps, representing the Grand Divisions of the Globe, Together with the several Empires, Kingdoms and States in the World; Compiled from the Best Authorities, and corrected by the Most Recent Discoveries, Philadelphia, 1828.
Very good. Blank on verso.
Rumsey 0282.032 (1827 edition). Phillips (Atlases) 4314, 760, 752, 6045.