This item has been sold, but you can enter your email address to be notified if another example becomes available, or purchase a digital scan.

1891 Walker City Map or Plan of Newburyport, Massachusetts

City of Newburyport. - Main View

1891 Walker City Map or Plan of Newburyport, Massachusetts


One year after the incorporation of the Newburyport Y.M.C.A, which is labeled!



City of Newburyport.
  1891 (dated)     19 x 26 in (48.26 x 66.04 cm)     1 : 6300


This is a George H. Walker and Company 1891 city map or plan of Newburyport, Massachusetts. The map depicts the city of Newburyport from Salisbury and across the Merrimack River to the city line and from Jefferson Street in Ward 6 in Newburyport to the Joppa Flats and the Newburyport and Amesbury State Roadway. A detailed illustration, the city is divided into 6 wards. The notation used to distinguish between wards is located in the small legend along the bottom border. Most streets are labeled, although a handful remain anonymous. Numerous buildings are individually rendered. These include about a dozen different churches and about half as many schools. The jail, public library, city hall, and the Y.M.C.A are also labeled. The B. and M. Railroad and the Boston and Maine Railroad are both illustrated, although the two terminate at different stations in Newburyport. The City Railroad is illustrated as well; its route runs along the river before curving south out of town. Mean height above sea level is also noted in several locations throughout town.

This map was revised by Luther Dame and published by George H. Walker and Company in 1891.


George Hiram Walker (January 4, 1852 - November 14, 1927) was a Boston based publisher of books, views, and maps active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Born in Springfield, Vermont, Walker started his life as a dry goods merchant but developed an active interest in publishing during the early 1870s. Walker began publishing in 1878 when he partnered with an unknown New York Firm. Two years later, Walker brought the operation in house by partnering with his brother, Oscar W. Walker, in the opening of a lithography studio at 81 Milk Street, Boston. Shortly thereafter the firm expanded to new offices at 160 Tremont Street, Boston. The Walker brothers produced a large corpus of works, most of which focused on travel and tourism in New England. Walker also established the Walker-Gordon Milk Laboratory with Dr. Thomas Morgan Rotch and Gustave Gordon. This interesting investment was based on the premise that infant deaths could be avoided by providing higher quality milk. The company eventually became a great success, producing a high-quality cow milk that closely resembled human breast milk. In the process the Walker-Gordon laboratory developed many of the dairy health standards that are still with us today. Walker married Irene L. Loud on March 25, 1885. Learn More...


Very good. Margin tears professionally repaired on verso. Blank on verso.


OCLC 451276761.