This is a scarce 1894 map or plan of New York City by Geo H. Walker and Company. It covers from 94th street to the Battery and includes parts of Brooklyn and Jersey City. Includes Ellis Island and Governor's Island. Roosevelt Island is here identified as Blackwell's Island. The region is shown in considerable detail and identifies streets, avenues, railways, important buildings, ferry lines, piers, parks and a host of other details. The map, presented by the Plaza Hotel (the original Plaza Hotel was eight stories tall and stood at the site from 1890 - 1905) and the Murray Hill Hotel marks the location of both hotels. An index in the top right quadrant lists clubs, churches, music halls, theatres and places of amusement, public buildings, prominent residences, etc. The map was created by Geo H. Walker and Company and issued by the Plaza Hotel and Murray Hill Hotels.
George H. Walker (January 4, 1852 - 19??) was a Boston based publisher of books, views, and maps active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Walker started his life as a dry goods merchant but developed an active interest in publishing during the early 1870s. Walker began publishing in 1878 when he partnered with an unknown New York Firm. Two years later, Walker brought the operation in house by partnering with his brother , Oscar W. Walker, in the opening of a lithography studio at 81 Milk Street, Boston. Shortly thereafter the firm expanded to new offices at 160 Tremont Street, Boston. The Walker brothers produced a large corpus of works, most of which focused on travel and tourism in New England. Walker also established the Walker-Gordon Milk Laboratory. This interesting investment was based on the premise that infant deaths could be avoided by providing higher quality milk. The company eventually became a great success, producing a high quality cow milk that closely resembled human breast milk. In the process the Walker-Gordon laboratory developed many of the dairy health standards that are still with us today.
Very good. Some wear and repair along original fold lines, especially near center. Professionally flattened and backed with archival tissue.