A beautifully drawn view of the House of Refuge on Randal's Island [sic], N.Y. in 1860. The drawing features the House of Refuge in the background, sailboats in a river in the middle ground, and cows grazing in what is probably Manhattan in the foreground! Randall's Island lays in New York City's east River, and is now joined to Wards Island on the south by a landfill, the site of former Little Hell Gate. The New York House of Refuge, completed in 1854, was the nation's first reformatory for juvenile delinquents and juvenile vagrants, and served as a model for other American reformatories. It was acclaimed by such visitors as Alexis De Tocqueville, Frances Trollope, and Charles Dickens. Drawn by G. Hayward of 171 Pearl St. N.Y., for the 1860 edition of D.T. Valentine's Manual.
David T. (Thomas) Valentine (1801 - 1869) served as the Clerk of the Common Council of New York City. He edited and published a series of New York City almanacs and fact books entitled Manual of the Corporation Of The City of New York. Valentine's Manual, as it came to be called, included facts about the City of New York, city council information, city history, and reported on the progress of public works such as Central Park. The production of this annual manual was the responsibility of the Clerk of the City of New York, a position held at different times by D. Valentine and by Joseph Shannon, who also produced a similar manual. Valentine used his manual to reproduce some of the rarest and most important maps of New York City ever created.
Valentine, D. T., Manual of the Corporation of the City of New-York, 1860.
Very Good. Exhibits light edge soiling.