A Decorative Map of Penobscot Bay Region Showing the tidal coast of Maine from Camden to Blue Hill and Isles boro to Bangor.
1940 (dated) 20.5 x 16 in (52.07 x 40.64 cm)
1 : 330000
This is a beautiful and decorative pictorial 1940 map of Maine’s Penobscot Bay by L. S. Phillips. The map covers from Bangor south as far as Camden and the northern part of Deer Island and east as far as Blue Hill Harbor. Beautifully detailed, the notes important roads, rivers, lakes, highways, islands, and several other details. Throughout the map notes several important landmarks and buildings in profile view with names on banners. Some of these include Ma’s Gift Shop, The Ark, Pine Shore Camps, Red Paint People Cemetery, Fort Point, Fort Pownal, and Paramount View Orchards, among others. Two insets feature the city of Belfast and parts of Bangor and Brewer.
Interesting annotations are included for various places. A legend near the top margin notes the important events in the history of the regions – from the ‘first recorded description of Norumbega’ in 1569 to the ‘great fire – April 30’ in 1911. A note near the decorative compass rose reads, ‘Discovered by Gomes in 1525 and named by him ‘Baya Fermosa’ (beautiful bay), the Penobscot - generally associated with the region of Norumbega - has appeared prominently on old charts of North America.’ Illustrations of three ships and sea monsters appear in the water. This map was issued by L. S. Phillips in 1940.
Very good. Some spotting throughout. Overall toning. Minor loss and damage at places, repaired. Backed with archival paper.