Carta Esférica de Estrecho de Malaca segun los trabajos mas modernos ingleses y holandeses.
1864 (dated) 24.5 x 38 in (62.23 x 96.52 cm)
1 : 430000
A rare 1863 Dirección de Hidrografía nautical chart or maritime map of the Strait of Malacca. The chart covers the southern portion of the strait from Selangor to the Strait of Singapore, including parts of adjacent Malaysia and Sumatra. Although the Klang (Kalang) River is noted, Kuala Lumpur does not appear, not yet being significant enough to appear on maps. The map does name and identify Malacca (Malaca) as well as other settlements and small islands. This chart unfortunately stops just short of Singapore.
The Strait of Malacca is a narrow stretch of water between the Malay Peninsula and Sumatra. It is named after the Sultanate of Malacca that ruled over the region between 1400 and 1511. While always a significant shipping thoroughfare, today the Strait of Malacca is one of the busiest and most important shipping routes in the world.
Cartographically this map was derived from British and Dutch sources. It was engraved by C. Leclercq. The lettering was engraved by F. Bregante. It was published in Madrid by the Dirección de Hidrografía.
The Direccion Hidrografía (1787 - 1927), which was also known as the Deposito Hydrografito and the Direction de Hidrografía over the course of its existence, was the Spanish equivalent of the British Admiralty or the U.S. Coast Survey. This organization, founded in 1787, was commissioned to produce accurate nautical charts of all waters frequented by Spanish vessels. In essence, it replaced the Casa de Contratción, which closed its doors in 1790. Like most such organizations, the Direccion Hidrografía marked a new age in cartography. Rather than compile charts created by navigators, explorers, and merchants, the Direccion Hidrografía worked closely with naval and military personnel to actually visit the sites directly in pursuit of the most accurate hydrographical, astronomical, and geodetic measurements. The Direccion Hidrografía created a massive library of nautical charts that, though not nearly as common as similar nautical charts by the U.S. Coast Survey and British Admiralty, are highly desirable for the beauty of their manufacture as well as their accuracy and detail. The office was originally located on Calle Ballesta, but relocated to 36 Alcala, both in Madrid. After 1908 the Dirección was subsumed into other governmental agencies. In 1927 the Direccion was absorbed into the Institute and Observatory of San Fernando, located in Cadiz. The library of original maps, charts, and journals was transferred to the Naval Museum of Madrid - where it resides to this day.
Very good. Some soiling and centerfold wear. Light water stain near center. A few minor closed tears repaired on verso. Even toning.