Trolley Wayfinder Birds Eye View of Trolley Routes in New England.
1905 (dated) 20.5 x 14.125 in (52.07 x 35.8775 cm)
A scarce and stunning bird's eye view style pocket map of New England issued in 1905 by George Walker published by the New England Street Railway Club. The view reveals New England, centered on Boston, extending north as far as Lewistown, Brunswick and Yarmouth; south to Narragansett Bay, Newport and New Bedford; and west as far as Worcester. Train and trolley routes throughout the region are illustrated, with myriad towns and villages labeled throughout the region. Both electric railroads and steam railroads are noted here, with red lines indicating an electric railroad and a black line marking the route of a steam railroad. Various parks, lighthouses, historic sites, and geographical features are also labeled. Popular routes are highlighted by inset maps, which include: Springfield-Turners Falls, Worcester-Springfield, Springfield-New York City, Pittsfield and Vicinity, Rochester-Nashua, Portsmouth-Lewiston, and a triangle route from Worchester to Providence to New London and back. An inset of the vicinity of Boston is situated in the upper left corner.
Publication History and Census This map was created by George H. Walker, copyrighted 1904 and 1905, and published by the New England Street Railway Club. Walker is better known for his similar view maps of Boston Harbor - the present example is thus somewhat out of his focus area and very scarce. We are aware of two examples in institutional collections at the Huntington Library and the William Clements Library at the University of Michigan.
George H. Walker (January 4, 1852 - 19??) was a Boston based publisher of books, views, and maps active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Walker started his life as a dry goods merchant but developed an active interest in publishing during the early 1870s. Walker began publishing in 1878 when he partnered with an unknown New York Firm. Two years later, Walker brought the operation in house by partnering with his brother , Oscar W. Walker, in the opening of a lithography studio at 81 Milk Street, Boston. Shortly thereafter the firm expanded to new offices at 160 Tremont Street, Boston. The Walker brothers produced a large corpus of works, most of which focused on travel and tourism in New England. Walker also established the Walker-Gordon Milk Laboratory. This interesting investment was based on the premise that infant deaths could be avoided by providing higher quality milk. The company eventually became a great success, producing a high quality cow milk that closely resembled human breast milk. In the process the Walker-Gordon laboratory developed many of the dairy health standards that are still with us today.
New England Street Railway Club (July, 1900 - c. 1925) was a technical and engineering organization based in Boston during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The organization was founded by Robert H. Derrah (1865 - 1920) in July of 1900. Derrah subsequently worked as the club's secretary and published its bulletin. The club was a popular and politically potent organization at a time when rail and trolley transit was common throughout New England. They held annual dinners that attracted high society from throughout the region. President Taft is recorded as speaking at one such gathering. The society issued numerous tourist oriented publications related to rail travel in New England.
Very good. Minor wear along original fold lines. Closed margin tears professionally repaired on verso. Text on verso.