Olde York County Maine.
18 x 12 in (45.72 x 30.48 cm)
This is a scarce 1939 map of York County, Maine issued by the York County Tercentenary Commission and is published in commemoration of the 300th anniversary of York County. It depicts the county of York, the first county in Maine, established in 1636. This unusual map notes both geographical as well as historical features of the region. Notes individual communities, activities and significant events with beautifully illustrated vignettes, including birthplace of Sir William Depperell, Court Session, 1636, Colonial Homes, County Court House, Union Falls, ‘Ranger’ 1777, Washington visits Kittery 1789, Isles of Shoals ‘White Light Island’, Tuna Fishing, and the U.S. Navy Yard 1806, to name a few. Also depicted is Emery’s Tavern in Sanford, home of 19th century numismatist S. Benton Emery. A decorative title cartouche adorns the top right quadrant with the dates 1636 and 1936, commemorating the 300th anniversary of York County. The compass rose in the lower right quadrant bears significance.
To celebrate the 300th anniversary of the founding of York County, Maine, Congress authorized a commemorative half dollar coin, of which 25000 coins were minted. This map was issued to accompany one of the first 100 pieces of the York County Tercentenary Half Dollar. The coin was placed in the center of the compass rose in the lower right quadrant and both coin and map were mounted under glass for presentation. The coin accompanying this map is not included.
Map is designed by the Maine State Planning Board and issued by the York County Tercentenary Commission. A great collector’s item for the numismatic enthusiast.
Very good. Map bonded to cardboard, could be removed by professional restorer. Minor foxing and toning.