Cincinnati in 1841. A Conjectural Rendition as envisaged 100 years later from the baffling accounts of the past.
1941 (dated) 11 x 19 in (27.94 x 48.26 cm)
This is a 1941 Caroline Williams pictorial map of Cincinnati, Ohio in 1841. The map depicts Cincinnati from Key's Hill and Brighton Hill to the Ohio River and from Mill Creek to Mt. Ida and the Ohio River. Beautifully sketched, details of downtown Cincinnati abound. All of the streets are labeled, along with numerous locations around the city, including the medical college, the Western Museum, Christ Church, the building where the Cincinnati Enquirer was published, and the Court House. Each of these buildings, along with others, are illustrated in profile. Facts about life in Cincinnati are also included, such as that the Whitewater Canal was nearly completed, and that the Watch was paid one dollar a night. The central map is framed by several vignettes of buildings around the city which are accompanied by captions, which identify the buildings and their locations. Some of the sketched buildings include the Ohio Mechanics' Institute, Platt Evens, Mercer and Draper, 'one of the swankiest stores in town', and the Court House. Around the views of the buildings, numerous other sketches area included as well, such as a sketch of a high-society couple and a portrait of William Henry Harrison, the first president from Ohio. A box along the bottom border provides three facts about Cincinnati circa 1841: the population, which was nearly 50,000, the mayor's name, Samuel W. Davies, and the fact that Cincinnati was the seventh largest city in the United States at the time.
This map was sketched and published by Cincinnati resident Caroline Williams in 1941.
Runtime error in mm5/5.00/modules/util/toolkit.mvc @ [0000001c:000007ae]: toolkit.mv: Line 4033: MvCALL: Unable to open URL 'https://www.geographicus.com/mm5/cartographers/williamscaroline.txt': Error looking up 'www.geographicus.com'