Circle Map of Greater New York showing Distances from City Hall and Comparative Values or Real Estate also Transportation Lines, Municipal Ferries and Proposed Bridges, Tunnels, Etc., to The Borough of Richmond.
22 x 28.5 in (55.88 x 72.39 cm)
This is a real estate map of New York City issued by the Wood Harmon company in 1806. Depicts the greater New York area, including parts of New Jersey and all five boroughs, with a focus on advancing the real estate interests of the Wood Harmon firm. Notes real estate values at various distances from New York's City Hall. Lots in Staten Island could be purchased for pittance at 190 to 290 USD, lots in Jamaica Queens were selling from 500 to 1000 USD, and in the Washington Heights and the Bronx from 2,000 to 10,000 USD. Also notes ferries, tunnels, and proposed bridges. Prepared in 1906 by Robet A. Welcke of William Street, New York, for the real estate firm of Wood, Harmon & Co.
Clifford B. Harman (July 1, 1866, - June 25, 1945), known as Colonel Harmon, was born in Urbana Ohio. He moved to New York City as a young map and partnered with Wood to create the real-estate firm Wood, Harmon & Co. The firm is credited with several important suburban developments in Westchester (Harmon-on-Hudson), Long Island (Pelham), and in Brooklyn. Outside of his successful real-estate interests Colonel Harman had a reputation as a thrill seeker and playboy. He interests changed rapidly from race cars, to hot air balloons and ultimately to aviation, in which he became one of its earliest pioneers. Harmon, in his Curtiss bi-plane, became the first man to fly over Long Island and, along with Claude Graham-White, the first to do a roundtrip flight across the English Channel. He also claims to be the first bomber pilot, though this is somewhat disputable. More by this mapmaker...
Good conditon. Original folds. Verso repairs on manyof the folds, especially at fold intersections. Text on vero.
Library of Congress, Copyright Office, Catalogue of Copyright Entires … January to June 1907, Part 1, Vol 2, No. 1734.