A scarce 1867 William Hughes Map of Palestine, Israel or the Holy Land in antiquity. Centered on the Jordan River, the map covers the regions between modern day Israel and Lebanon along with parts of Jordan and Syria. An inset in the lower right quadrant features the plan of Ancient Jerusalem. It depicts the ancient walled city in detail, noting many ancient sites, including the Fountain of the Virgin, the hill of Evil Counsel (the legendary house of Caiaphas, where Judas is said to have plotted the betrayal of Jesus), Temple of the Kings, the Tower of Psephinus, the site of the Temple in Moriah, the Pool of Siloam and others. A key in the bottom of the inset map identifies more ancient sites. The map uses both contemporary and ancient place names throughout. The ancient Phoenician cities of Sidon and Tyros (both among the earliest, wealthiest and most enterprising ancient cities) are noted. This map was created by William Hughes, printed by J. Bien and engraved by G.E. Sherman, for issued as plate 21 in Sheldon and Company's An Atlas of Classical Geography.
William Hughes (c. 1818 - May 21, 1876) was a cartographer, engraver, lithographer, printer, and publisher active in London during the middle part of the 19th century. Hughes enjoyed and long and varied cartographic career. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society in 1838 and, from about 1840, taught geography and mapmaking at St. Johns College for Civil Engineers. He later taught the same at both Queens College and Kings College, London. For a time he was employed as a map librarian for the British Museum. Hughes began engraving maps around 1839 and worked with most of the prominent British map and atlas publishers of his era, including but not limited to Charles Knight, A. and C. Black, George Philip, William Cassell, and others.
404 Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.
Web Server at dev.geographicus.com
Sherman and Smith (fl. c. 1829 - 1855), sometimes working as Stiles, Sherman & Smith, were American engravers active in New York City during the middle part of the 19th century. The firm including John Calvin Smith (surveyor and engraver), George E. Sherman, and sometimes, Samuel Stiles. Their work primarily focused on government publications, including the maps and engravings prepared to illustrate the official records of the 1838-42 United States Exploring Expedition (U.S. Ex. Ex.), maps issued for the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers, and various U.S. Coast Survey Charts. They also engraved privately for Thomas Bradford and John Disturnell, among others. Sherman and Smith maintained offices at the corner of Broadway and Liberty Street in New York City and were highly regarded as the finest cartographic engravers in the city. Their non-cartographic legacies include George Inness, who apprenticed with them for two years before going on to become a well regarding American landscape painter of the Hudson River School.
Sheldon and Company, An Atlas of Classical Geography constructed by William Hughes and edited by George Long, (New York) 1867.
Very good. Minor wear and toning along original centerfold.