Carta Esférica del Gran Banco de Bahama parte de la Isla de Cuba y Costa de la Florida.
1858 (dated) 37 x 23.5 in (93.98 x 59.69 cm)
1 : 778500
A scarce, large, and highly detailed 1858 nautical chart or maritime map of the Bahamas by the Spanish Direccion de Hidrografia. Centered on Andros Island, the largest of the Bahama family, the map covers from Grand Bahama to Cuba and from Florida to Exuma. The map is a combination of Spanish and foreign surveys, which have been combined to produce a chart of extraordinary detail. The Florida coast is illustrated in special detail from, roughly, modern day Vero Beach, to Matecumbe Key. Fort Jupiter, Boca Raton, The Miami River, Fort Lauderdale, and For Dallas are all noted. The Bahama Bank itself is dense with thousands of sounding. The Cuba coast, is also illustrated with exceptional detail.
The text was engraved by C. Marquerie and the map was engraved and construed by Juan Noguera. This map was issued by the Spanish Direccion de Hidrografia under the supervision of Don José Ma. De Quesada.
La Dirección Hidrográfica (1797-1908) was a Spanish governmental organization dedicated to preparing, compiling, and publishing nautical charts. Its history is closely linked to the Depósito Hidrográfico. After the close of the Casa de Contratación in 1790 there was an acute need for a place to store, publish, and organize Spanish sea charts, especially new discoveries associated with the work of explorers as Jorge Juan (1713-1773), Antonio de Ulloa (1716-1795) and Vicente Tofiño of San Miguel (1732-1795). The Dirección Hidrográfica was founded by Antonio Valdés and Fernandez Bazan. The office was originally located on Calle Ballesta, but relocated to 36 Alcala, both in Madrid. After 1908 the Dirección was subsumed into other governmental agencies.
Juan Noguera (fl. c. 1850 – 1860) was a Spanish engragver based in Madrid during the middle part of the 19th century. Noguera engraved maps for Francisco Coello, Direccion de Hidrografia, and others.
Very good. Light staining. A couple of navigation marks associated with a working nautical chart.