1925 (undated) 14 x 22 in (35.56 x 55.88 cm)
This is an uncommon 1925 example of a George H. Walker's aquatint view of Boston Harbor. Centered on South Boston, the view covers Boston Harbor from East Boston and Nahant eastward as far as Squantum and Slate Island. The bustling harbor is shows full of ships and ferries traveling between its various islands and cities. Includes Thompson's Island, Castle Island, Spectacle Island, Governors Island, Deer Island, Lovell's Island, Calf Island, and Peodock's Island, among many others. Identifies various light houses including Boston Light, Bug Light, and Minots Ledge Light. Ferry routes are indicated. This map was published by the Walker Lithography Company, Boston, Massachusetts.
George H. Walker (January 4, 1852 - 19??) was a Boston based publisher of books, views, and maps active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Walker started his life as a dry goods merchant but developed an active interest in publishing during the early 1870s. Walker began publishing in 1878 when he partnered with an unknown New York Firm. Two years later, Walker brought the operation in house by partnering with his brother , Oscar W. Walker, in the opening of a lithography studio at 81 Milk Street, Boston. Shortly thereafter the firm expanded to new offices at 160 Tremont Street, Boston. The Walker brothers produced a large corpus of works, most of which focused on travel and tourism in New England. Walker also established the Walker-Gordon Milk Laboratory. This interesting investment was based on the premise that infant deaths could be avoided by providing higher quality milk. The company eventually became a great success, producing a high quality cow milk that closely resembled human breast milk. In the process the Walker-Gordon laboratory developed many of the dairy health standards that are still with us today.
Very good. Minor wear along original fold lines. Accompanied by original binder.