This item has been sold, but you can enter your email address to be notified if another example becomes available, or purchase a digital scan.

1917 Finn View Map of Boston Harbor and Cape Cod, Massachusetts

BostonHarborView2-finn-1917
$300.00
Bird's Eye  View of Boston Harbor along the South Shore to Provincetown. - Main View
Processing...

1917 Finn View Map of Boston Harbor and Cape Cod, Massachusetts

BostonHarborView2-finn-1917

A detailed view of Boston Harbor.

SOLD

Title


Bird's Eye View of Boston Harbor along the South Shore to Provincetown.
  1917 (dated)     16 x 20 in (40.64 x 50.8 cm)

Description


This is a 1917 William J. Finn color lithograph bird's eye view of Boston Harbor from Boston to Provincetown. All of Cape Cod Bay, Quincy Bay, and Dorchester Bay are depicted, along with the communities of Boston, East Boston, South Boston, Dorchester, Quincy, and Hough's Neck. Mingham, Nantasket, and Duxbury, are also noted, as are Plymouth, Cohasset, and Scituate. Numerous islands in Boston Harbor are illustrated and labeled, including Moon Island, Spectacle Island, Thomson's Island, and Governor's Island. Ferry and steamboat are also labeled. Twenty-five locations throughout the region are numerically labeled and correspond with an index situated along the bottom border. Five additional locations are labeled alphabetically, which are also included in said index.

This view was drawn and copyrighted by William J. Finn and engraved and printed by the Federal Engraving and Publishing Company in 1917. Cartographically, this map is based upon the late 19th century views of John Murphy.

CartographerS


William John Finn (February 18, 1867 - June 6, 1919) as an Irish-American newspaper man active in Boston during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Finn was born in Boston and spent most of his life working as a salesman for the Union News Co., specifically on the steamboat circuit of the Nantasket Line out of Rowes Wharf. In this position he supervised production of several chromolithograph views for sale at steamship terminals. Learn More...


Union News Company (fl. c. 1890 - 1969) was founded by William Skelly in the late 1800's and operated until the late 1960s. After the railroads opened it became custom to have boys -newsboys- pass through the cars with waters, newspapers and other small amenities. Skelly was the first newsboy on the railroad and became well known among railroad passengers. He gradually increased his facilities, hiring additional newsboys, until he virtually monopolized the railroad, and later steamship, news business. He made a small fortune and used this to found the Union News Company. The company was first known for the sales of newspapers in stations until it was able to expand and being selling papers on the train and in station restaurants. Union News continued to grow becoming major distributors of postcards and other printed items through their newsstands at hotels, rail and subway stations. The company officially folded in 1969. Learn More...

Condition


Very good. Wear along original fold lines. Area of infill in lower left quadrant. Light soiling. Blank on verso. Accompanied by original binder.