1894 Walker Map or Plan of Boston, Massachusetts

BostonProper-walker-1894
$175.00
Part of Map of Boston Proper.
Processing...

1894 Walker Map or Plan of Boston, Massachusetts

BostonProper-walker-1894

$175.00

Title


Part of Map of Boston Proper.
  1894 (dated)    13 x 21 in (33.02 x 53.34 cm)     5.597222222

Description


This is a scarce 1894 map or plan of the city of Boston, Massachusetts by Geo H. Walker and Company. It extends from Cambridge and Charleston to East Boston and South Boston. Individual streets, bridges, parks, wharfs, subway lines, elevated train lines, surface rail lines, important buildings, subway stations, ferry routes, etc. are noted throughout. Wards are numbered. This map was copyrighted 1894 by Geo H. Walker and Co., Boston and presented by The Hotel Essex.

Cartographer


George H. Walker (January 4, 1852 - 19??) was a Boston based publisher of books, views, and maps active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Walker started his life as a dry goods merchant but developed an active interest in publishing during the early 1870s. Walker began publishing in 1878 when he partnered with an unknown New York Firm. Two years later, Walker brought the operation in house by partnering with his brother , Oscar W. Walker, in the opening of a lithography studio at 81 Milk Street, Boston. Shortly thereafter the firm expanded to new offices at 160 Tremont Street, Boston. The Walker brothers produced a large corpus of works, most of which focused on travel and tourism in New England. Walker also established the Walker-Gordon Milk Laboratory. This interesting investment was based on the premise that infant deaths could be avoided by providing higher quality milk. The company eventually became a great success, producing a high quality cow milk that closely resembled human breast milk. In the process the Walker-Gordon laboratory developed many of the dairy health standards that are still with us today.

Condition


Very good. Minor wear along original fold lines, especially near center. Professionally flattened and backed with archival tissue.