Brooklyn 1636 - 1776 / Brooklyn 1865 - Today / Brooklyn Townships
1940 (two of three dated) 6.5 x 5 in (16.51 x 12.7 cm)
1 : 138000
These are three Frank Randolph Southard pictorial maps of Brooklyn, New York. Each of the three maps depicts roughly the same geographic area, from Manhattan and the East River to the Atlantic Ocean and from The Narrows and New York Bay to Jamaica Bay.
The first of the three maps, Brooklyn 1636 – 1776, illustrates the region as it was during these 150 years. The villages of Brooklyn (Breukelen), Flatbush (Midwout), New Lots (Oostwout), Bushwick (Boswyck), Greenpoint, Red Hook, New Utrecht, and Gravesend are all labeled. Each of the villages is depicted with its own vignette, most of which include dwellings of some wort. The illustration for Flatlands even includes a windmill! Coney Island is labeled as well. Sailing ships of varying size are illustrated in the waters around Brooklyn, with a smaller boat included in Jamaica Bay.
The second map in this collection, entitled Brooklyn 1865 – Today is much more detailed than the first, illustrating the progress made between 1636 and 1940. Modern technology is present throughout the map, most notably the multi-engine aircraft situated in the upper right corner, just below the title. By this time the five boroughs had been consolidated, and the individual villages that were labeled in the first map have now become neighborhoods in the borough of Brooklyn. Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Flatbush, New Lots, Flatlands, New Utrecht, and Gravesend are all labeled, some of which include dates below their names, indicating the year they were annexed by Brooklyn. Prospect Park is depicted, along with the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg Bridges. The Brooklyn Academy of Music is also illustrated, as well as Greenwood Cemetery and Fort Hamilton. The Long Island Railroad is depicted heading out of town, near New Utrecht. The Navy Yard, and what is probably a battleship, are discernable along the East River, with piers lining the East River in Brooklyn and the Hudson River along Manhattan. Jamaica Bay, Sheepshead Bay, and Coney Island are labeled. The Statue of Liberty and Governors Island are depicted in New York Harbor, and modern steamships are illustrated all around Brooklyn and Manhattan.
The third and final map in the set illustrates the expansion of Brooklyn from Brooklyn Village, which, per the map, was initially divided into Bedford, Gowanus, Brooklyn Village, and Cripplebush and did not become the City of Brooklyn until 1834. From there, Williamsburg (founded 1840 annexed 1855), Bushwick (annexed 1855) New Lots (annexed 1886), Flatbush (annexed 1894), Flatlands (Annexed 1896), Gravesend (Annexed 1894), and New Utrecht (annexed 1894) are labeled. Small vignettes are used to illustrate some of the annexed villages, along with an illustration of a train and a surveying team in the upper right corner, and a fisherman in Gravesend.
These three maps were created by Frank Randolph Southard in 1940.
Frank Randolph Southard (1886 - 1958) was an American painter, graphic artist, book illustrator, and photographer based in Brooklyn, New York. Southard was born in New Jersey, the son of Charles F. Southard and Katharine Emilie Keller. Southard graduated with a degree in graphic design from Pratt and studied at the Art League of Manhattan. Southard lived most of his life in Brooklyn at 1388 Dean Street. He was an avid touring cyclist and traveled extensively in Europe just prior to World War I. After returning to Brooklyn, he became licensed as a teacher of commercial design. When war broke out he joined the Army where he was assigned to the 77th Division. After the war he returned to New York where he continued to peruse his teaching and artistic career. Southard is known for numerous graphic illustrations including maps of Brooklyn and a notable pictorial wall map of China. He was married to Ida Hinsch and was survived by two children.
Very good. Even overall toning. Light soiling. Closed tear professionally repaired on verso of Brooklyn 1865 - Today. Text on verso.