This is a 1907 George Walker and Company pocket map of southern Cape Cod, Massachusetts. The map depicts from Marion to Hyannis and from Bourne to Nantucket Sound and Vineyard Sound. Several counties are labeled, including Marion, Bourne, Falmouth, and Barnstable as well as Cape Cod Bay, Nantucket Sound, Vineyard Sound, and Buzzard Bay. The Cape Cod Division of the New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad is depicted, along with numerous roads. Ponds and hills are labeled. Along the bottom border, a legend explains the different notations utilized throughout the map, including the difference between town and county borders and that the abbreviation P.O. after a town name indicates the presence of a post office.
This map was published by George H. Walker and Company in Boston in 1907.
George Hiram Walker (January 4, 1852 - November 14, 1927) was a Boston based publisher of books, views, and maps active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Born in Springfield, Vermont, Walker started his life as a dry goods merchant but developed an active interest in publishing during the early 1870s. Walker began publishing in 1878 when he partnered with an unknown New York Firm. Two years later, Walker brought the operation in house by partnering with his brother, Oscar W. Walker, in the opening of a lithography studio at 81 Milk Street, Boston. Shortly thereafter the firm expanded to new offices at 160 Tremont Street, Boston. The Walker brothers produced a large corpus of works, most of which focused on travel and tourism in New England. Walker also established the Walker-Gordon Milk Laboratory with Dr. Thomas Morgan Rotch and Gustave Gordon. This interesting investment was based on the premise that infant deaths could be avoided by providing higher quality milk. The company eventually became a great success, producing a high-quality cow milk that closely resembled human breast milk. In the process the Walker-Gordon laboratory developed many of the dairy health standards that are still with us today. Walker married Irene L. Loud on March 25, 1885. More by this mapmaker...
Very good. Repaired tear extending ten inches from left margin. Blank on verso. Still attached to original booklet.