Le Cercle de Baviere qui comprend le Haut Palatinat, les Duchés de Haute et de Basse Baviere et de Neuburg, l'Archevéché de Salzburg, les Évéchés de Ratisbonne, de Freisingen, de Passau et la Prevôte de Berchtolsgaden.
1751 (dated) 20 x 19 in (50.8 x 48.26 cm)
1 : 640000
This is a beautiful 1751 map of the Bavaria, in the southeast part of Germany by Gilles Robert de Vaugondy. It includes the Archbishopric of Saltzburg, and the Electorate of Bavaria and extends from Bamberg south to Innsbruck and east as far as the Kingdom of Bohemia. Rivers, roads, lakes and other topography is also noted throughout, with mountains beautifully rendered in profile. Political divisions include the Regency of Munich and the High Palatinate.
Prior to the French Revolutionary War and the Congress of Vienna, the Holy Roman Empire's Circle of Bavaria included the Archbishopric of Salzburg, and was bordered by Franconia, Bohemia, Swabia, and Austria. After several wars with, and occupation by, Austria, the old Bavarian elector Max III Joseph died, leaving Bavaria and the electoral Palatinate to be governed once again in personal union. The Napoleonic Wars dissolved the Holy Roman Empire in 1806, briefly making Bavaria an independent kingdom and doubling its size, until Germany consolidated in 1871.
This map was published in the 1757 edition of Vaugondy's Atlas Universel.
Gilles (1688 - 1766) and Didier (c. 1723 - 1786) Robert de Vaugondy were map publishers, engravers, and cartographers active in Paris during the mid-18th century. The father and son team were the inheritors to the important Sanson cartographic firm whose stock supplied much of their initial material. Graduating from Sanson's map's Gilles, and more particularly Didier, began to produce their own substantial corpus of work. Vaugondys were well respected for the detail and accuracy of their maps in which they made excellent use of the considerable resources available in 18th century Paris to produce the most accurate and fantasy-free maps possible. The Vaugondys compiled each map based upon their own superior geographic knowledge, scholarly research, the journals of contemporary explorers and missionaries, and direct astronomical observation - moreover, unlike many cartographers of this period, they commonly took pains to reference their source material. Nevertheless, even in 18th century Paris geographical knowledge was severely limited - especially regarding those unexplored portions of the world, including the poles, the Pacific northwest of America, and the interior of Africa and South America. In these areas the Vaugondys, like their rivals De L'Isle and Buache, must be considered speculative geographers. Speculative geography was a genre of mapmaking that evolved in Europe, particularly Paris, in the middle to late 18th century. Cartographers in this genre would fill in unknown areas on their maps with speculations based upon their vast knowledge of cartography, personal geographical theories, and often dubious primary source material gathered by explorers and navigators. This approach, which attempted to use the known to validate the unknown, naturally engendered many rivalries. Vaugondy's feuds with other cartographers, most specifically Phillipe Buache, resulted in numerous conflicting papers being presented before the Academie des Sciences, of which both were members. The era of speculatively cartography effectively ended with the late 18th century explorations of Captain Cook, Jean Francois de Galaup de La Perouse, and George Vancouver.
Vaugondy, R., Atlas Universel (Paris) 1757.
The Atlas Universal was the crowning glory of the Robert de Vaugondy firm's atlas production. The atlas was revolutionary on many levels and exemplified the Vaugondy creedo commode, complet, univorme, et suive (convenient, complete, uniform, and easy to use). The atlas thus consisted of a wide corpus of maps, both modern and historical, was of moderate height and width, and featured maps of uniform style and structure. They partnered with Antoine Boudet, a shrewd businessman and publisher with whom they had worked previously, to produce the first edition. To minimize his fiscal risk, Boudet sold the atlas first by subscription using a large prospectus, receiving in the process over 1100 pre-orders. The first edition appeared in 1757 and contained beautifully produced maps with elaborate freshly designed allegorical cartouche work, generally by Pierre-Edme Babel, Pierre Philippe Choffard, and Charles Nicholas Cochin. Most of the maps were engraved by the Delahaye firm, the payment for whose services ultimately led to legal disputes. Despite proving a popular work of astounding quality, the Atlas Universal received harsh criticism from fellow cartographers, particularly Philipppe Buache. Ever at odds with the Vaugondys, Buache's critical perspective may have been influenced more by political maneuvering than academic affront. The atlas was issued in multiple editions between 1757 and 1788. Later editions, issued after 1786, were taken over by Charles Delamarche, who inherited the Robert de Vaugondy firm and assumed Boudet's publication rights.
Very good. A verso repair along original centerfold at bottom margin.