Clark and Tackabury's New Topographical Map of the State of Connecticut.
57 x 72 in (144.78 x 182.88 cm)
1 : 95000
An attractive 1859 first edition example of Richard Clark and Robert and George Tackabury's important wall map of Connecticut. The map covers the entire state of Connecticut with impressive detail including topography shown by hachure, color coding by county and township, notes on railroad lines, rivers, and roads, and countless depth soundings. Drawn on a scale of 1.5 miles to the inch, Clark and Tackabury's map is the largest most complete map of Connecticut ever published, identifying 'the location of all public buildings, churches, school-houses, manufacturing establishments, and private residences'. Nine insets focus on the cities of Norwalk, New London, Bridgeport, Hartford, Norwich, Middleton, Waterbury, Norwich, Waterbury, Stamford and New Haven, where Yale College is identified. To the left of the map proper are 1850 census population statistics for both counties and cities arrayed in a table.
SourcesCartographically this map is an amalgam of older maps and new private survey work produced by G. M Hopkins and Company of Philadelphia. The countless depth soundings along the Long Island Sound are drawn from the U.S. Coast Survey's work in this region.
Publication History and CensusThis map was prepared by Robert M. and George N. Tackabury based upon surveys performed by G. M. Hopkins. It was published by Clark and Tackabury, and printed in Philadelphia by Thomas S. Wagner Lithography. It was sold by subscription in both wall and case format from March 2, 1859. The first edition of this map is scarce - especially as here in dissected format. We note examples of this edition at 4 institutions: Yale University Library, the Connecticut Historical Society, the University of Connecticut, and the Boston Athenaeum. Scarce to the market.
Richard Clark (fl. c. 1850 - 1865) was an American cartographer active in the middle part of the 19th century. Though he seems to have been based in Philadelphia, most of Clark's work was compiled in conjunction with other publishers and focused on Connecticut and Massachusetts. Clark is associated with several maps, but his most important are a wall map of Fairfield County, Connecticut, and Connecticut itself. Little is known of Clark's life. Learn More...
Robert M. Tackabury and George N. Tackabury (1828 - 1894) were Philadelphia based map publishers active in the middle part of the 19th century. The Tackaburys were born in New York. They published several case maps, pocket maps and atlases in conjunction with Robert Clark and Henry Francis Walling. Little else is known of this elusive duo. Learn More...
G. M. Hopkins Company (1865 - 1940 ; 1943 - today) was an American civil engineering and surveying firm based in Philadelphia. Founded in Philadelphia in 1865 by brothers G. M. and Henry Hopkins as G.M. Hopkins and Company, the firm focused primarily on real estate plat maps of the Eastern seaboard. It is unknown exactly who G.M. Hopkins was. The 'G.M.' either stands for Griffith Morgan or George Morgan. Three possibilities exist for this happenstance: it is possible that the compilers of early Philadelphia directories were negligent, G.M. Hopkins changed his first name, or two G.M. Hopkins worked for the firm. The firm published 175 plat maps atlases depicting cities, counties, and townships in eighteen states and the District of Columbia, and were among the first to create a cadastral atlas. Henry Hopkins supervised much of the surveying work and was credited with creating two maps in 1860 and 1861. He also served as the chief assistant. G.M. retired in 1900 (and died the following year), which allowed Henry to take control of the business which he renamed the G.M. Hopkins Company in 1902. Henry retired in 1902 and sold the business to George B.C. Thomas, who had been working for the firm since 1896 as an engraver. Henry Hopkins died in 1921. The G.M. Hopkins Company was purchased by the Franklin Survey Company of Philadelphia in 1943 and continued publishing atlases using the Hopkins imprint. In 1986 the company was renamed Franklin Maps and is still in operation today. Learn More...
Thomas S. Wagner and M'Guigan (fl. 1846 - 1858) were Philadelphia based publishers and lithographers active in the mid 19th century. The Wagner and M'Guigan (or McGuigan) firm were general interest lithographers and as such their work consisted of portraits, bookplates, advertisements and views as well as map. The firm was also an early pioneer of color lithography and for this were awarded a Silver Medal by the Franklin Institute in the 1840s. The Wagner and M'Guigan firm succeeded the Pinkerton, Wagner and M'Guigan firm. Learn More...
Good. Original linen backing stable. Overall toning. Some surface abrasion and edge wear. Some dampstaining. Custom clamshell box.
OCLC 806491344. Thompson, E., Maps of Connecticut for the Years of the Industrial Revolution, #181.