Map of the Permanent System of Highways District of Columbia.
1939 (dated) 49 x 54.75 in (124.46 x 139.065 cm)
1 : 11670
This is a 1939 Surveyor of Washington, D.C. city map or plan of Washington, D.C. The map depicts the city from Dalecarlia Reservoir and the extreme northwestern portion of Rock Creek Park to Fort Dupont Park, Camp Simms, then home to the D.C. National Guard, and Oxon Creek. A highly detailed illustration of Washington, D.C., all of the streets are labeled and each city block is numbered. Curiously, this map appears to have been repurposed at some point, most likely by a railroad company. Manuscript color has been added to this map, along with a manuscript legend. Each of the different colors highlights the rail lines and property of a different rail company, including the Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington Railroad Company, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, and the Washington Terminal Company. For example, Union Station in Washington, D.C. is owned by the Washington Terminal Company, along with the rail lines approaching the station. These lines, along with Union Station, are shaded blue, to set them apart from the rest of the map
As its original purpose was to illustrate highways in Washington, D.C. the level of detail at street level is worth noting. A legend along the bottom border bears the information that both existing and proposed highways are depicted on the map, along with the fact that public parks and other public land are shaded differently. Landmarks around the city are labeled, including Arlington National Cemetery, the U.S. Capital Building, the National Mall, the reflecting pool, and the White House, then called the Executive Mansion. The Anacostia and Potomac Rivers have also been colored.
This map was prepared in the office of the Surveyor, D.C. by direction of the Engineer Commissioner, D.C. in 1939.
Very good. Backed on linen. Label on verso.