Plan of Edinburgh and Leith with Suburbs, from Ordnance and Actual Surveys, Constructed for the Post Office Directory,
26 x 23 in (66.04 x 58.42 cm)
1 : 10000
This is a beautiful 1877 map or plan of the city of Edinburgh and Leith, Scotland, by John Bartholomew. The map covers the city of Edinburgh, known as the 'Athens of the North' in exceptional detail from the Royal Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum (what is today the Royal Edinburgh Hospital) in Morningside, north to Granton Harbor and from Craigleith Hill east as far as Duddingston Loch. The map notes all streets, parks, individual buildings, municipal centers, rivers, docks, railways, canals, hills, lakes other topographical features and, of course, the city's many fine gold courses. Cartographically Bartholomew derived this chart from the Ordnance and Actual Surveys.
In the 19th century, Edinburgh was the heart of the Scottish enlightenment. Celebrities from across the continent would be seen in the city streets, among them famous Scots such as David Hume, Walter Scott, Robert Adam, David Wilkie, Robert Burns, James Hutton and Adam Smith. Edinburgh became a major cultural center, earning it the nickname Athens of the North because of the Greco-Roman style of the New Town's architecture, as well as the rise of the Scottish intellectual elite who were increasingly leading both Scottish and European intellectual thought. During this time, Edinburgh, like most of Scotland, benefited enormously from the Industrial Revolution.
This map was created by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S. from ordnance and Actual Surveys and was constructed for the Post Office Directory.
The Bartholomew Family (fl. c. 1810 - 1920) is clan of map publishers active in London through the 19th century. They represent one of the great names in British cartography. The cartographic story of the Bartholomew family begins with George Bartholomew (January, 8 1784 - October 23, 1871, active from 1797), an engraver in the employ of the Daniel Lizars firm of Edinburgh. George was the first of six generations in the Bartholomew map-making dynasty. It was his son, John Bartholomew Sr. (1805 - April 9, 1861) who ultimately founded John Bartholomew and Sons in 1828. The John Bartholomew firm produced thousands of maps and rose to become one of the largest and most prolific cartography firms in Scotland. John Sr. was succeeded by his son, also John Bartholomew Jr. (1831-93). John George Bartholomew (1860-1920), son of John Bartholomew (1831-93) took control of the firm at its height. John George was a charter member of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society and supported the creation of a National Institute of Geography - a good idea that never took off. John George is also reliably attributed to be the first to bring the term "Antarctica" into popular usage as a denominator for the Southern Continent. In recognition of his work, John George was awarded a warrant from the king and often used the title "Cartographer to the King" on his imprint. Among his friends and admirers he was referred to as the "Prince of Cartography". Today the John Bartholomew firm has been absorbed into the HarperCollins family of publishers. The vast archive of maps and atlases produced by the Bartholomew family has since been transferred to the National Library of Scotland where it is currently in the cataloguing process.
Very good. Minor wear along original fold lines and near lower left quadrant, where map was attached to binder. Some damage and repair near top margin. Professionally flattened and backed with archival tissue.