Ichnographia Urbis in Tuscia primariæ Florentiae. Scenographice.
1731 (dated) 19.5 x 23 in (49.53 x 58.42 cm)
1 : 8500
This is a 1731 Homann Heirs city map or plan of Florence, Italy. The map depicts the city of Florence from the Giovanni Citadel (Cittadella di Giovanni) to the Miniato Fortress (Fortezza Miniato) and from the city walls and the Porta Pinti across the Arno to the city walls and the Porta S.Pier Catto, along with some farmland just beyond the walls. With 122 different locations numerically identified within the city, a highly detailed plan of Florence is presented. The city is divided into four different districts: Maria Novteia, Sa. Giovanni, and Sa. Crocce on one side of the Arno, and S. Spirito on the other. Brunelleschi's dome, part of the Cathedral of Florence, holds a prominent place in the center of the map. As it is illustrated in profile, it is the focal point of the work. A view of Florence, looking across the city toward the Dome and the Fortezza Belvedere, dominates the bottom third of the page, allowing for a much more comprehensive understanding of the city. The Dome of the Cathedral of Florence dominates the view as well.
This map was published by Homann Heirs in 1731.
Johann Baptist Homann (March 20, 1664 - July 1, 1724) was the most prominent and prolific map publisher of the 18th century. Homann was born in Oberkammlach, a small town near Kammlach, Bavaria, Germany. As a young man Homann studied in a Jesuit school and nursed ambitions of becoming a Dominican priest before converting to Protestantism in 1687. Following his conversion, Homann moved to Nuremberg and found employment as a notary. Around 1693 Homan briefly relocated to Vienna, where he lived and studied printing and copper plate engraving until 1695. Afterwards he returned to Nuremberg where, in 1702, he founded the commercial publishing firm that would bear his name. In the next five years Homann produced hundreds of maps and developed a distinctive style characterized by heavy detailed engraving, elaborate allegorical cartouche work, and vivid hand color. The Homann firm, due to the lower cost of printing in Germany, was able to undercut the dominant French and Dutch publishing houses while matching the diversity and quality of their output. By 1715 Homann's rising star caught the attention of the Holy Roman Emperor Charles the VI, who appointed him Imperial Cartographer. In the same year he was also appointed a member of the Royal Academy of Sciences in Berlin. Homann's prestigious title came with a number of important advantages including access to the most up to date cartographic information as well as the "Privilege". The Privilege was a type of early copyright offered to a few individuals by the Holy Roman Emperor. Though not as sophisticated as modern copyright legislation, the Privilege did offer a kind of limited protection for several years. Most all J. B. Homann maps printed between 1715 and 1730 bear the inscription "Cum Priviligio" or some variation. Following Homann's death in 1726, the management of the firm passed to his son Johann Christoph Homann (1703 - 1730). J. C. Homann, perhaps realizing that he would not long survive his father, stipulated in his will that the company would be inherited by his two head managers, Johann Georg Ebersberger and Johann Michael Franz, and that it would publish only under the name Homann Heirs. This designation, in various forms (Homannsche Heirs, Heritiers de Homann, Lat Homannianos Herod, Homannschen Erben, etc..) appears on maps from about 1731 onwards. The firm continued to publish maps in ever diminishing quantities until the death of its last owner, Christoph Franz Fembo in 1848.
Very good. Verso repair of centerfold separation. Blank on verso.