Carte Topographique des Pays et Côtes Maritimes Qui Forment le Détroit de Gilbraltar / Topographische Carte der Länder und Küsten welche die Meer-Enge von Gibraltar.
1756 (dated) 18.5 x 22.5 in (46.99 x 57.15 cm)
1 : 170000
This is a 1756 Homann Heirs map of the Strait of Gibraltar. The map is oriented to the south, thus depicting the Strait from Morocco to Spain, labeled Andalusia (Andalousie). Both Spain and Morocco are illustrated in detail. Different locations are noted in both countries, including guard towers, castles, and cities, such as Tangiers and Gibraltar. Fields, forests, hills and sand dunes dot the landscape, and rivers and roads traverse the land on both sides of the Strait. It is interesting to note that, along with the Port of Tangiers, the mosque in the city is also labeled.
A surprisingly detailed inset map is located along the right border. This map depicts western Europe, from Britain and Ireland to the Strait of Gibraltar and North Africa. The countries of Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, and England are illustrated in detail. Numerous cities are labeled, including Paris, London, Madrid, and Lisbon. Both France and Spain are divided into different regions, at least along the coast. Both Majorca, Minorca, and Ibiza are labeled. Shipping routes between England and southern France are depicted as well, with distances noted every twenty miles. Four tables are also included along the right border. These tables provide information on the tides in and around the Strait of Gibraltar and the Mediterranean Sea. Notations on this map are in two languages. The vast majority are in French, while some are in German.
This map was produced by Homann Heirs in 1756.
Johann Baptist Homann (March 20, 1664 - July 1, 1724) was the most prominent and prolific map publisher of the 18th century. Homann was born in Oberkammlach, a small town near Kammlach, Bavaria, Germany. As a young man Homann studied in a Jesuit school and nursed ambitions of becoming a Dominican priest before converting to Protestantism in 1687. Following his conversion, Homann moved to Nuremberg and found employment as a notary. Around 1693 Homan briefly relocated to Vienna, where he lived and studied printing and copper plate engraving until 1695. Afterwards he returned to Nuremberg where, in 1702, he founded the commercial publishing firm that would bear his name. In the next five years Homann produced hundreds of maps and developed a distinctive style characterized by heavy detailed engraving, elaborate allegorical cartouche work, and vivid hand color. The Homann firm, due to the lower cost of printing in Germany, was able to undercut the dominant French and Dutch publishing houses while matching the diversity and quality of their output. By 1715 Homann's rising star caught the attention of the Holy Roman Emperor Charles the VI, who appointed him Imperial Cartographer. In the same year he was also appointed a member of the Royal Academy of Sciences in Berlin. Homann's prestigious title came with a number of important advantages including access to the most up to date cartographic information as well as the "Privilege". The Privilege was a type of early copyright offered to a few individuals by the Holy Roman Emperor. Though not as sophisticated as modern copyright legislation, the Privilege did offer a kind of limited protection for several years. Most all J. B. Homann maps printed between 1715 and 1730 bear the inscription "Cum Priviligio" or some variation. Following Homann's death in 1726, the management of the firm passed to his son Johann Christoph Homann (1703 - 1730). J. C. Homann, perhaps realizing that he would not long survive his father, stipulated in his will that the company would be inherited by his two head managers, Johann Georg Ebersberger and Johann Michael Franz, and that it would publish only under the name Homann Heirs. This designation, in various forms (Homannsche Heirs, Heritiers de Homann, Lat Homannianos Herod, Homannschen Erben, etc..) appears on maps from about 1731 onwards. The firm continued to publish maps in ever diminishing quantities until the death of its last owner, Christoph Franz Fembo in 1848.
Very good. Light soiling. Closed tear extending 6 inches into printed area professionally repaired on verso.