Smith's Map of Hartford County Connecticut.
1855 (dated) 69.6 x 47 in (176.784 x 119.38 cm)
1 : 63360
This is a rare and spectacular 1855 wall map of Hartford County, Connecticut by Edgar M. Woodford. Cenered on the city of Hartford and the Connecticut River, this map covers the entire county and is color coded by township. Countless individual property holders and homes are identified throughout. The map features a wide decorative border with images of the State House in Hartford, State Normal School in New Britain, Connecticut Literary Institution in Suffield, the home of Col. A. G. Hazard in Enfield, the elegant Residence of Wm. H. Jones with View of Silk Factory, the Charter Oak, wildlife, and an Indian Warrior. Twenty insets surrounding the map are large and detailed town plans of Hartford, Farmington, Rockyhill, New Britain, Wethersfield, Glastonbury (Glastenbury), South Glastonbury (Glastenbury), Windsor Locks, Thompsonville, Broad Brook, Warehouse Point, Plainville, Cheneyville, Southington, Unionville, Collinsville, Hazardville, Plantsville, and Berlin.
This map was drawn based upon surveys completed by Edgar M. Woodford, an important Connecticut surveyor. It was engraved and printed by Wagner and McGuigan, and published by H. and C.T. Smith, both Philadelphia firms.
404 Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.
Web Server at dev.geographicus.com
Good. Unrestored wall map. Minimal toning. Varnished over by publisher. Original linen backing stable except upper right and left corners, where minor splits detach from the top roller. Original rollers. Minor chipping, upper border.
OCLC 793203850. Stephenson, Land Ownership Maps: A Checklist of Nineteenth Century County Maps in the Library of Congresss, #60. Thompson, E., Maps of Connecticut for the Years of the Industrial Revolution, #164. Library of Congress, Map Division, G3783.H3G46 1855 .W6 TIL. Ristow, W., American Maps and Mapmakers: Commercial Cartography in the Nineteenth Century, p. 388.