Vue de l'Hôtel de Ville Prise du Quai Pelletier.
1844 (dated) 13.5 x 17.5 in (34.29 x 44.45 cm)
This is an 1844 Jules Arnout view of the Hôtel de Ville (City Hall) in Paris, France. The view, drawn by Arnout from the quai Pelletier (today's quai de Gesvres), illustrates the hôtel de ville as it would have been seen from the Seine. The view details the building's beautiful Renaissance-style façade with Parisians milling about in the square in front going about their daily lives.
A Short History of the Hôtel de VilleThe Hôtel de Ville as it is depicted here was constructed between 1533 and 1628, with construction being interrupted by the French Wars of Religion which happened intermittently throughout the second half of the sixteenth century. This Hôtel de Ville was burned by the communards at the end of the Paris Commune in 1871 after it became clear that the Commune would be defeated by the French military. The building as it is in Paris today was built between 1874 and 1882.
Publication History and CensusThis view was created by Jules Arnout, originally printed by Lemercier and published by Jeannin c. 1844. This example is one of the British editions which was published in London by the Anaglyphic Company in 1844. The only other known example is part of the collection at the Musée Carnavalet in Paris and is in black and white.
Jules Arnout (June 1, 1814 - 1868) was a French artist, painter, and lithographer active during the mid-19th century. Arnout created works depicting landscapes and French, Swiss, Italian, and English cities.
Rose-Joseph Lemercier (June 29, 1803 - 1887) was a French photographer, lithographer, and printer. One of the most important Parisian lithographers of the 19th century, Lemercier was born in Paris into a family of seventeen children. His father was a basket maker, and he even began working as a basket maker at the age of fifteen, but Lemercier was drawn to lithography and printing and soon entered into an apprenticeship with Langlumé, where he worked from 1822 until 1825. After working for a handful of other printers, Lemercier started his own firm in 1828 at 2, rue Pierre Sarrazin with only one printing press. He subsequently moved a few more times before arriving at 57, rue de Seine, where he founded the printing firm Lemercier and Company. Lemercier created the firm Lemercier, Bénard and Company in 1837 with Jean François Bénard. Lemercier bought out Bénard's share in the firm in 1843 and, since his two sons died at a young age, he decided to bring his nephew Alfred into the business beginning in 1862, who would progressively take on more and more responsibility in running the firm. Between 1850 and 1870, Lemercier's firm was the largest lithographic company in Paris. The firm began to decline in prestige in the early 1870s, and, after Lemercier's death in 1887, its descent only quickened. It is unclear when the firm closed, but Alfred directed the firm until his death in 1901.
Henri Jules Jeannin (fl. 1829 - 1854) was a French print publisher active in Paris in the mid 19th century. Jeannin maintained offices at No. 20, Rue du Croissant in Paris from 1829 - 1835 and then move is office to No. 20, Place du Louvre in Paris. Little else is known about Jeannin.
Very good. Even overall toning. Some soiling. Blank on verso.