1701 Homann Map of Hungary

Hungary-homann-1701
$600.00
Regnorum Hungariae, Dalmatiae, Croatiae, Sclavoniae, Bosniae, Serviae et Principatus Transylvaniae novissima exhibiteo facta A Io. Bapt. Homann Norimb. - Main View
Processing...

1701 Homann Map of Hungary

Hungary-homann-1701

Celebrating the Holy League's 1699 victory over the Ottoman Empire.
$600.00

Title


Regnorum Hungariae, Dalmatiae, Croatiae, Sclavoniae, Bosniae, Serviae et Principatus Transylvaniae novissima exhibiteo facta A Io. Bapt. Homann Norimb.
  1701 (undated)     19 x 22.25 in (48.26 x 56.515 cm)     1 : 1900000

Description


This is a first plate, first state example of Johann Baptist Homann's 1701 map of the Kingdoms of Hungary and the Balkans, produced in celebration of the 1699 victory of the Holy League following the Great Turkish War (1683 - 1699), concluded by the Ottoman Empire's surrender at the Treaty of Karlowitz. Consequently, this represented the new frontier with the Ottoman Empire following the treaty, spanning from the border of Poland in the north to Albania in the south.
A Closer Look
The map embraces the course of the Danube from Austria to Nikopol in Bulgaria. The Dalmatian coast of the Gulf of Venice from Croatia to Albania appears in the southwest; The Tsarigrad Road (running from Belgrade to Sofia on this map, and ultimately to Istanbul) is also depicted in the southeast.
Triumphal Engraving
The ornate, superbly executed cartouche dramatizes the results of the Great Turkish War. A regal figure - probably the Holy Roman Emperor, Leopold I (1640 - 1705) - stands atop the cartouche, directing a band of surrendering Turkish soldiers to kneel as they present their swords.
Publication History and Census
This map's printing history is convoluted. This first plate appeared first as a separate issue in 1701; it was included without change in the 1707 and 1710 editions of Homann's Neuer Atlas. We are aware of a second state of this plate, with a new cartouche, produced after 1710 but before 1716, at which point a second plate based on the revised first was engraved. Johann Christian Homann, J. B. Homan's son, replaced it with a new map after his father's death in 1724.

Cartographer


Johann Baptist Homann (March 20, 1664 - July 1, 1724) was the most prominent and prolific map publisher of the 18th century. Homann was born in Oberkammlach, a small town near Kammlach, Bavaria, Germany. As a young man Homann studied in a Jesuit school and nursed ambitions of becoming a Dominican priest before converting to Protestantism in 1687. Following his conversion, Homann moved to Nuremberg and found employment as a notary. Around 1693, Homann briefly relocated to Vienna, where he lived and studied printing and copper plate engraving until 1695. Afterwards he returned to Nuremberg where, in 1702, he founded the commercial publishing firm that would bear his name. In the next five years Homann produced hundreds of maps and developed a distinctive style characterized by heavy detailed engraving, elaborate allegorical cartouche work, and vivid hand color. The Homann firm, due to the lower cost of printing in Germany, was able to undercut the dominant French and Dutch publishing houses while matching the diversity and quality of their output. By 1715 Homann's rising star caught the attention of the Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI, who appointed him Imperial Cartographer. In the same year he was also appointed a member of the Royal Academy of Sciences in Berlin. Homann's prestigious title came with a number of important advantages including access to the most up to date cartographic information as well as the 'Privilege'. The Privilege was a type of early copyright offered to very few by the Holy Roman Emperor. Though not as sophisticated as modern copyright legislation, the Privilege did offer a kind of limited protection for several years. Most all J. B. Homann maps printed between 1715 and 1730 bear the inscription 'Cum Priviligio' or some variation. Following Homann's death in 1724, the management of the firm passed to his son, Johann Christoph Homann (1703 - 1730). J. C. Homann, perhaps realizing that he would not long survive his father, stipulated in his will that the company would be inherited by his two head managers, Johann Georg Ebersberger (1695 - 1760) and Johann Michael Franz (1700 - 1761), and that it would publish only under the name 'Homann Heirs'. This designation, in various forms (Homannsche Heirs, Heritiers de Homann, Lat Homannianos Herod, Homannschen Erben, etc..) appears on maps from about 1731 onwards. The firm continued to publish maps in ever diminishing quantities until the death of its last owner, Christoph Franz Fembo (1781 - 1848). More by this mapmaker...

Source


Homann, J. B., Neuer Atlas, (Nuremberg: Homann) 1707.    

Condition


Good. Printer's crease at bottom; lower margin trimmed with some loss of border at lower left; reinstated. Tallow stain to upper left.

References


OCLC 214288988.