A map of the Kingdom of Ireland, divided into provinces, counties and baronies. Southern section. Shewing the archbishopricks, bishopricks, cities, boroughs, market towns, villages, barracks, mountains, lakes, bays, rivers, bridges, ferries, passes, also the great, the branch & the by post roads together with the inland navigation, by J. Rocque, Chorographer to His Majesty.
1794 (dated) 50 x 38 in (127 x 96.52 cm)
An absolutely stunning and monumental 1794 wall map of Ireland by Jean Rocque. Covers Ireland in full with extraordinary detail throughout. Notes every town, hamlet, bishopric, country, forest, castle swam and road. Even offers some offshore detail with regard to the shoals in Georges Channel. In inset map in the lower right quadrant shows Ireland in the context of the British Isles. An elaborate title cartouche in the upper left quadrant shows the Irish Harp over two pensive bovines and a demurely positioned unclothed maiden. Published by Laurie and Whittle as plate nos. 9-10 in the 1797 edition of Thomas Kitchin's General Atlas.
John Rocque (c. 1704 - 1762) was an important cartographer, engraver, and surveyor active in England and Ireland in the mid to late 18th century. Rocque is of Huguenot extraction and likely changed his name from Jean upon moving to England from the south of France in 1709. John Rocque seems to have started off life as a landscape designer, working and living with his brother Bartholomew. When Rocque discovered he had a talent for cartography, he sold his skills in conjunction with his brother's landscape design work to various public parks and noble estates. Rocque is well known for his detailed plans of Plainshipp Park, Wilton House, Wrest Park, and Claremont, among others. As his cartographic skills grew he turned his attention to larger scale productions, developing a number of impressive city plans, including the exceptional large format plan of London, for which he is best remembered. Rocque enjoyed considerable business success during his lifetime. Where most English mapmakers were simply reprinting updated versions of older work, Rocque was embarking on time consuming original survey work. He also developed a number of unique approaches to cartography with regard to new techniques for rendering land use and topography - no doubt a layover of his landscape mapping work. Little is known of his personal life, though he did marry twice. His widow, Mary Ann Rocque, carried on his business following his death in 1762.
Laurie and Whittle (fl. 1794 - 1858) were London, England, based map and atlas publishers active in the late 18th and early 19th century. Generally considered to be the successors to the Robert Sayer firm, Laurie and Whittle was founded by Robert Laurie (c. 1755 - 1836) and James Whittle (1757-1818). Robert Laurie was a skilled mezzotint engraver and is known to have worked with Robert Sayer on numerous projects. James Whittle was a well-known London socialite and print seller whose Fleet Street shop was a popular haunt for intellectual luminaries. The partnership began taking over the general management of Sayer's firm around 1787; however, they did not alter the Sayer imprint until after Sayer's death in 1794. Apparently Laurie did most of the work in managing the firm and hence his name appeared first in the "Laurie and Whittle" imprint. Together Laurie and Whittle published numerous maps and atlases, often bringing in other important cartographers of the day, including Kitchin, Faden, Jefferys and others to update and modify their existing Sayer plates. Robert Laurie retired in 1812, leaving the day to day management of the firm to his son, Richard Holmes Laurie (1777 - 1858). Under R. H. Laurie and James Whittle, the firm renamed itself "Whittle and Laurie". Whittle himself died in six years later in 1818, and thereafter the firm continued under the imprint of "R. H. Laurie". After R. H. Laurie's death the publishing house and its printing stock came under control of Alexander George Findlay, who had long been associated with Laurie and Whittle. Since, Laurie and Whittle has passed through numerous permeations, with part of the firm still extant as an English publisher of maritime or nautical charts, 'Imray, Laurie, Norie and Wilson Ltd.' The firm remains the oldest surviving chart publisher in Europe.
Thomas Kitchin (August 4, 1718 – June 23, 1784) was a London based engraver, cartographer, and publisher. He was born in London to a hat-dyer of the same name. At 14, Kitchin apprenticed under Emanuel Bowen, under whom he mastered the art of engraving. He married Bowen daughter, Sarah Bowen, and later inherited much of his preceptor's prosperous business. Their son, Thomas Bowen Kitchin, also an engraver joined the family business, which thereafter published in Thomas Kitchin and Son. From 1858 or so Kitchin was the engraver to the Duke of York, and from about 1773 acquired the title, 'Royal Hydrographer to King George III.' He is responsible for numerous maps published in the The Star, Gentleman's Magazine, and London Magazine, as well as partnering with, at various times, with Thomas Jefferys, Emmanuel Bowen, Thomas Hinton, Issac Tayor, Andrew Dury, John Rocque, Louis de la Rochette, and Alexander Hogg, among others. Kitchin passed his business on to his son, Thomas Bowen Kitchin, who continued to republish many of his maps well after his death. Kitchin's apprentices included George Rollos, Bryant Lodge, Thomas Bowen Kitchin, Samuel Turner Sparrow, John Page, and Francis Vivares.
Kitchin, Thomas, Kitchin's General Atlas, describing the Whole Universe: being a complete collection of the most approved maps extant; corrected with the greatest care, and augmented from the last edition of D'Anville and Robert with many improvements by other eminent geographers, engraved on Sixty-Two plates, comprising Thirty Seven maps., Laurie & Whittle, London, 1797.
Very good condition. Original centerfold. Blank on verso. Original platemark visible. Wide clean margins. Four sheets joined.
Bonar Law, Andrew, The Printed Maps of Ireland 1612-1850, 93(ii). Rumsey 0411.014, 0411.015. National Library of Australia, MAP RM 2338.