12.5 x 18 in (31.75 x 45.72 cm)
1 : 11520
A remarkable imaginary 1702 plan of Jerusalem drawn by Daniel Stoopendaal but based upon an early work by Juan Bautista Villalpando. Villalpando's popular fictive view of Jerusalem first appeared in a 1604 commentary on Ezekiel co-written by Villalpando and Hieronymus Prado. The plan, which is oriented to the west, is based upon the Book of Ezekiel and writings of the first century Jewish historian Flavius Josephus, among other sources. Principle elements include the Temple of Solomon, bottom center, the City of David, upper left, and the historic city wall. The structure of Solomon's Temple, including the nine square courtyards, are based on Villalpando's interpretation of Ezekiel's prophecy of a Third Holy Temple. The entire map is surrounded by twelve vignettes relating to the Temple of Solomon, these include a view of the temple itself, the Arc of the Covenant, an altar, a menorah, a statue of Solomon, the Tabernacle, and an altar of burnt offerings.
This map was published by the Keur family in their popular Keur Bible. As one of the Dutch 'Staten Bibles' published between 1637 and 1760, the Keur Bible contained five or six maps: Werlt Karte, Paradys, Perigrinations, Canaan, Ierusalem, Reysen Pauli, and sometimes Reyse der Kinderen Israels. This specific map was issued in the1702 edition of the Keur Bible.
Daniel Stoopendaal (1672-1726) was a Dutch engraver and mapmaker active in Amsterdam during the early part of the17th century. Stoopendaal is best known for his garden and landscape prints. Cartographically D. Stoopendaal's most notable work is his re-engravings of Visscher maps of the Holy Land for inclusion in the Keur Bible. Daniel Stoopendaal is often confused with Bastiaan Stoopendaal, an engraver associated the Visscher firm, with whom he frequently work but was most likely not related.
Claes Jansz Visscher (1587 - 1652) established the Visscher family publishing firm, which were prominent Dutch map publishers for nearly a century. The Visscher cartographic story beings with Claes Jansz Visscher who established the firm in Amsterdam near the offices of Pieter van den Keer and Jadocus Hondius. Many hypothesize that Visscher may have been one of Hondius's pupils and, under examination, this seems logical. The first Visscher maps appear around 1620 and include numerous individual maps as well as an atlas compiled of maps by various cartographers including Visscher himself. Upon the death of Claes, the firm fell into the hands of his son Nicholas Visscher I, who received a privilege to publish from the States of Holland and West Friesland in 1677. The firm would in turn be passed on to his son, Nicholas Visscher II. Most of the maps bearing the Visscher imprint were produced by these two men. Many Visscher maps also bear the imprint Piscator (a Latinized version of Visscher) and often feature the image of an elderly fisherman. Upon the death of Nicholas Visscher II, the business was carried on by the widowed Elizabeth Visscher until it was eventually sold to Peter Schenk.
Biblia,dat is De gantsche H. Schrufture, Pieter and Jacob Keur, 1702.
Good condition. Original folds. Older repair, upper right quadrant. Verso reinforcement, left side. Platemark visible. Text on verso.
Laor, E., Maps of the Holy Land: Cartobibliography of Printed Maps, 1475 - 1900, 1150.