A beautiful French nautical chart or map issued in 1852 by the Depot de la Marine. Covers the Tuscan coastline from the mouth of the Arno River (Embouchure de L'Arno) to Cape Castiglioncello (just north of Pisa) with a focus on Livorno (Livourne or Leghorn). Offers sumptuous detail both inland at sea. Offers countess depth soundings as well as notes on undersea features such as banks and shoals. Equally impressive detail inland with beautifully engraved topography and detailed in Livorno proper to the level of individual roads and buildigns. On the left hand side of the map there is a detailed inset of the Port of Livorno as well as five coastal views. The island of Gorgona (Gorgone) appears in the lower left quadrant. Today Livorno is a popular tourist destination and a port of call for Cruise ships visiting Tuscany. Issued by Theodore Ducos for the Depot-general de la Marine in 1852.
Dépôt des Cartes et Plans de la Marine (fl. 1720 - present), often called the Dépôt de Marine, was a French hydrographic mapping organization founded in 1720 under Charles-Hercule of Albert de Luynes (1674 - 1734). Much like the U.S. Coast Survey, the British Admiralty, and the Spanish Deposito Hydrografico, the Dépôt was initiated as a storehouse and distribution center of existing nautical and marine charts. Eventually the Dépôt initiated its own mapping activities in an attempt to improve and expand upon existing material. Some of the more prominent cartographers and hydrographers associated with the of Dépôt des Cartes were, Philippe Buache, Jacques-Nicholas Bellin, Giovanni Rizzi-Zannoni, Rigobert Bonne, and Jean Nicolas Buache. Learn More...
Very good. Minor annotation near Meloria bank.