Wyld's New Plan of London and its Vicinity.
1889 (dated) 24 x 31 in (60.96 x 78.74 cm)
A large and appealing pocket map of London, england issued by James Wyld in 1889. Centered on the Thames, this map covers central London from Highgate to the Victoria Docks and from Brixton to Chiswick. Made with the foreign tourist in mind, Wyld's map shows most streets, important buildings, inns, churches, trading centers, markets, parks, and rail lines. The whole is surrounded by a decorative border with letter and number grid references. Wyld first issued this map in 1867 and it went through multiple states to reflect rapid urban development that transformed London into the first truly modern metropolis. This is an uncommon later state of the map and is not listed by Hyde.
James Wyld I (1790 - 1836) and his son James Wyld II (November 20, 1812 - 1887) were the principles of English mapmaking dynasty active in London during much of the 19th century. The elder Wyld was a map publisher under William Faden and did considerable work on the Ordinance Survey. On Faden's retirement, Wyld took over Faden's workshop acquiring many of his plates. Wyld's work can often be distinguished from his son's maps through his imprint, which he signed as "Successor to Faden". Following in his father's footsteps the younger Wyld joined the Royal Cartographical Society in 1830 at the tender age of 18. When his father died in 1836, James Wyld II was prepared to fully take over and expand his father's considerable cartographic enterprise. Like his father and Faden, Wyld II held the title of official Geographer to the Crown, in this case, Queen Victoria. Among his first major decisions was to move operations from William Faden's old office at Charing Cross East to a new larger space at 475 Strand. Wyld II also chose to remove Faden's name from all of his updated map plates. Wyld II continued to update and republish both his father's work and the work of William Faden well into the late 1880s. One of Wyld's most eccentric and notable achievements is his 1851 construction of a globe 19 meters in diameter in the heart of Leicester Square, London. In the 1840s Wyld also embarked upon a political career, being elected to parliament in 1847 and again in 1857. He died in 1887 following a prolific and distinguished career. After Wyld II's death, the family business was briefly taken over by James John Coper Wyld (1844 - 1907), his son, who ran the firm from 1887 to 1893 before selling the business to Edward Stanford. All three Wyld II and James John Coper Wyld are notable for producing, in addition to their atlas maps, short run maps expounding upon important historical events - illustrating history as it was happening - among them are maps related to the California Gold Rush, the New South Wales Gold Rush, the Scramble for Africa, the Oregon Question, and more.
Very good condition. Dissected and mounted on linen. Missing original linen binder.
Hyde, Ralph, Printed Maps of Victorian London, 1851 - 1900, no. 119 (this state is not identified by Hyde).